The City of Mankato is seeking a public safety professional who performs peace officer duties and to do related work as assigned within the Mankato Department of Public Safety Police Service utilizing the community policing philosophy. Police officers work to form partnerships with the community and other service providers, perform problem solving based on community identified issues, and perform community outreach to a diverse citizen constituency. Applicants should have a strong desire to deliver public safety services under this philosophy and articulate their skills in partnership building, problem solving, and community engagement. Both entry level and experienced lateral entry candidates are being sought. Police officers work under the direction of a public safety supervisor.
Closing Date/Time: Mon. 02/18/19 11:59 PM Central Time
Salary: $28.21 – $33.70 Hourly
$58,672.85 – $70,089.34 Annually
Performs all duties assigned in connection with the operation of the Police Division.
Actively supports, demonstrates understanding of, and participates in the Department of Public Safety Community Governance Philosophy. Solves problems using SARA model.
Operates automobiles for extended periods of time in all environmental conditions.
Operates vehicles at high speeds and in congested traffic.
Operates sirens, lights, and radios while driving.
Enters and exits vehicles quickly.
Patrols day and night in all weather conditions by automobile, on bicycle, and on foot in assigned areas of the City.
Enforces state and federal laws and City ordinances.
Patrols and examines buildings and residences to detect suspicious conditions and handle situations accordingly.
Reads road signs, house numbers, license plates, etc., day and night.
Chases and subdues fleeing persons.
Runs, dodging low hanging objects and obstacles.
Climbs stairs, ladders, and fire escapes and climbs over or crawls under objects.
Forces open doors and windows.
Arrests suspects if necessary, and brings them into custody.
• Must possess an Associate Degree in Police Science, Law Enforcement or Criminal Justice from an accredited university, college, or vocational technical institute in a program requiring actual classroom instruction and training (excluding programs exclusively by correspondence), or such other education as may be considered equivalent.
• Must be licensed by the Minnesota P.O.S.T. Board (Police Officers Standards and Training), or be eligible to be licensed (both academic and skills training completed) by the Minnesota P.O.S.T. Board.
ALTERNATIVE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
• Applicants who are in process of completing their Associates or Bachelors degree in Police Science, Law Enforcement or Criminal Justice and expect to successfully complete the MN POST exam by August 1, 2019 are eligible to apply for this position.
• Bachelors Degree in Police Science, Law Enforcement or Criminal Justice.
• Experience of at least three (3) years working as a full-time patrol officer for a department with a minimum of five (5) full-time officers in a community of at least 4,000 in population utilizing the community policing philosophy.
• Fluency in understanding, reading, speaking, and writing in a language other than English.