The Position: Under general supervision of a Police Sergeant or other supervisory/management staff, performs a variety of duties related to the protection of public health, safety, and welfare and the enforcement of applicable federal, state, and local laws; provides traffic enforcement and control; and carries out special assignments in a particular phase of police work. The Police Officer is an entry/journey level class responsible for performance of the full scope of assigned law enforcement duties and responsibilities. New incumbents may have limited related experience but are expected to learn the full range of duties and responsibilities, perform duties with minimal direct supervision, and exercise sound judgment and discretion in making decisions.
Essential Job Functions
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Patrols assigned areas of the City to preserve law and order, discover and prevent commission of crimes, and enforce traffic and other laws and ordinances; maintains awareness of and remains alert for wanted suspects, known criminals, stolen vehicles, missing persons, traffic violators, and crimes in progress; makes arrests; issues warnings and citations.
- Responds to calls for the protection of life and property, the enforcement of laws and ordinances, general public service calls, and complaints including those involving automobile accidents, traffic hazards, misdemeanor and felony incidents, domestic disturbances, health code and local ordinance violations, property control, civil complaints, and related incidents; responds to and provides assistance at a variety of public service type calls that are non-criminal in nature.
- Conducts initial and follow-up investigations at scenes of incidents to which summoned, or incidents observed; determines what, if any crime has been committed; collects, preserves, processes, photographs, and books evidence; locates and interviews victims and witnesses; identifies and interrogates suspects.
- Prepares and serves search and arrest warrants; apprehends and arrests offenders for crimes committed under federal, state, and local laws and codes; controls and mitigates people under the influence of drugs or alcohol or other potentially hostile situations.
- Directs traffic at special events or emergency situations; provides traffic and crowd control at community and emergency events.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Completion of a POST approved police academy
License or Certificate
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license
- Qualify for or possess a P.O.S.T. Basic Certificate upon completion of the probationary period
- Additional certifications may be required for specialized assignments
- An associate degree or college level course work and specialized training in law enforcement, criminal justice, or a related field is highly desirable