To perform a variety of technical and administrative duties in the enforcement of laws, the prevention of crime, protection of life and property, and providing public service to the public. May be assigned special function duties such as Community Policing, investigations, saturation patrols or other programs.
Essential Job Duties
The following duties are normal for this position. However, they are not to be construed as exclusive or all–inclusive. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. Other duties may also be required or assigned.
- Patrol a designated area of the City to preserve law and order, discover and prevent the commission of crimes, and enforce traffic and other laws and ordinances, check buildings for physical security.
- Respond to emergency situations including personal and property crimes such as assaults, traffic accidents, burglaries, domestic disturbances, civil complaints, property control, and related misdemeanor and felony incidents.
- Collect, process, photograph and present evidence including fingerprints, fibers, blood and related physical evidence to investigate incidents of crime.
- Enforce traffic laws and ordinances; check speed with radar; issue warnings and citations.
- Interview suspects, victims, and witnesses in the field.
- Document all activities performed through the preparation of reports and appropriate preservation of evidence.
- Arrest and maintain custody of prisoners; conduct intoxilyzer tests and record results; book and transfer prisoners to jail.
- Serve warrants and execute police raids; provide bar checks.
Minimum Education and Certification: Equivalent to completion of High School or GED.
Minimum Experience: No specific experience is required, however law enforcement and/or experience working with the public is preferred.
Certification: Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and a valid Peace Officer Standards and Testing (POST) certificate for the State of Colorado. Additional procedural and/or equipment certification will be required throughout employment depending upon assignments.