Amherst College invites applications for the Police Officer position. The Police Officer is a full time, year round position, job group and level PT-1. Given Amherst’s distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ways in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community with regard to race, ethnicity, ability, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
Enforce federal, state and municipal ordinances and college policies. Protect civil rights, provide intervention and mediation to disputants, provide intervention, protection and assistance in domestic violence cases. Detect criminal activity and take appropriate action against violators. Identify, collect and preserve evidence. Process arrested individuals, including determining charges, fingerprinting, photographing, initiating NCIC check, searching, removing and inventorying personal belongings and transporting arrested persons to lock-up; monitoring all prisoners in jail lockup, according to Massachusetts law. Apply for and serve arrest warrants; process paperwork on arrests and activity reports; serve court papers; provide court testimony. Upon request, provide assistance to the local police off campus.
- Related experience in law enforcement or security
- Attention to detail
- Strong problem-solving and time management skills, as well as the ability to multi-task
- Demonstrated interpersonal, and written and verbal communication skills, as well as exercise diplomacy, and function efficiently under extreme conditions
- Requires sensitivity to issues of confidentiality
- Commitment to, experience with, and/or ability to work effectively with a broad spectrum of individuals from a variety of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, staff, public officials, civic and community groups, and the general public.
- Ability to gain certification as a Massachusetts Special State Police Officer. Certification requires:
- High School Diploma and a Certified Full Time Academy, or Associates Degree in Policing or Criminal Justice and a Massachusetts Reserve Intermittent Academy, with the ability to attend and complete a certified full time academy
- Massachusetts License to Carry a Firearm
- Current CPR/1st Aid/Defibrilator/Epi-Pen/Narcan
- Completion of required annual in-service training, including MSP on-line, MPTC firearms, defensive tactics, and legal updates
- Successful medical and psychological screening
- Valid Driver’s License and be credentialed in accordance with college policy
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
- Related experience in college or university law enforcement
- Previous experience on bias, with an understanding of anti-bias practices