Are you looking for a new career opportunity, or to begin a career in law enforcement? One where you serve, protect, and promote the quality of life in the community? if so, the role of a Sioux Falls police officer may be the perfect fit for you!
HIRING RANGE DOQ: $29.50 – $34.11 hourly ($61,360 – $70,948 annual) (dependent on applicable POST-certified law enforcement experience)
SIGN ON BONUS: $5,000.00
- SFPD’s 20-plus specialty units offer varied opportunities including: SWAT, Resource Officers, Violent Crimes Unit, Police Service Dog Unit (K-9), and Bomb Squad.
- Upwards of 280 sworn Police Officers and 1,300 full-time COSF employees participate in the Employer of Choice Plan, created to retain and attract employees.
- The City of Sioux Falls offers competitive salaries and benefits, along with an 8% employer match for the South Dakota Retirement System [pension plan].
- An annual shift-bid enables team members to set weekly work dates and hours for each calendar year to offer you work/life balance.
- This Fall-2023, the City of Sioux Falls will open the doors to its $55-million dollar “state-of-the-art” Public Safety Campus
Want to know more? Check out the Public Safety Campus at this link! https://www.siouxfalls.org/public-safety-campus
- SFPD Police Officers can expect unmatched support from the community and local government.
- There is no residency requirement for SFPD Police Officers.
- No state income tax.
Perform general police work in the protection of life and property, including conducting investigations, responding to emergencies, and conducting public education programs.
Qualifications and Skills:
Associate’s degree or at least 60 semester hours of college credits from an accredited institution; or two years of certified law enforcement experience; or two years of military experience; or any such combination of education, experience, and training as may be acceptable to the hiring authority.
The Sioux Falls Police Department recognizes that not all applicants have post certified law enforcement experience, education credits, conferred degree, or military experience. The Sioux Falls Police Department also desires applicants that currently serve in a position of responsibility, have a stable work history, a clean criminal history, and an interest in serving and protecting the community. The Department will consider applicants who possess these collective qualities and experience when determining an applicant’s suitability for employment.
An applicant must…
- be eligible for certification under the South Dakota Law Enforcement Officers Standards and Training Commission.
- be a United States citizen.
- be at least 21 years of age at the time of interview, and no greater than 44 years of age at the time of interview.
- not have unlawfully used any prescribed drug, controlled substance, or marijuana within one year before the time of application for certification.
- never have been convicted of a crime by any state or federal government punishable by imprisonment in a federal or state penitentiary.
- possess or be able to obtain prior to hire a valid driver’s license.
- have vision correctable to at least 20/40 in each eye. Must recognize and distinguish among the colors of traffic control signals and devices showing standard red, green, and amber.
- have hearing in which able to hear forced whispered voice in the better ear at not less than 5 feet with or without the use of a hearing aid, or does not have an average hearing loss in the better ear greater than 40 decibels at 500, 1,000, and 2,000 Hz with or without a hearing aid.
- pass all phases of the hiring process designated by the Rules of Civil Service Board.
The City of Sioux Falls takes pride in being an Employer of Choice including our Culture, Values, and Compensation and Benefits. Apply today to become part of ONE Team and help us take care of today for a better tomorrow!