The Edgartown Police Department is currently accepting applications for the position of Full-Time Police Officer. Applicants must have successfully completed a MCJTC/MPTC full-time police academy. He or she must also be a U.S Citizen, at least 21 years of age, have a high school diploma or equivalent, and possess a valid MA driver’s license, as well as a valid LTC and valid First Responder and CPR/AED certifications. Applicants must be able to perform duties and responsibilities of a Police Officer. Successful applicants will be required to pass a medical and psychological examination and an extensive background investigation.
Full-time Police Officer starting salary $82,246.32 (8 step annual increase pay scale), Educational incentive (associates 6%, Bachelors 12%, Masters 15%), overtime pay, detail pay. Health insurance benefits, retirement benefits, 4 on 3 off work week, vacation, holiday pay & accrual, personal days, sick days, longevity pay, shift differentials.
A Police Officer is required to efficiently perform his or her duties in conformance with the rules, regulations, policies, and procedures of the Edgartown Police Department.
General police duties shall consist of, but not be limited to, a number of activities necessary to insure the stability and safety of the community. A police officer is expected to perform essential tasks as defined by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Division of Human Resources as well as:
- Identify criminal offenders and criminal activity and, where appropriate, apprehend offenders and participate in subsequent court proceedings.
- Reduce the opportunities for the commission of crime through preventive patrol and other measures.
- Aid individuals who are in danger of physical harm.
- Facilitate the movement of vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Identify problems that are potentially serious law enforcement or governmental problems.
- Create and maintain a feeling of security in the community.
- Promote and preserve the peace.
- Provide other services on an emergency basis.