Under supervision, this position performs a variety of duties to an assigned area of responsibility such as identifying and apprehending criminal violators; controls and maintains public order and safety; performs related duties as required. Constantly interacting with citizens and merchants to address not only crime and traffic safety concerns, but quality of life issues.
Closing Date/Time: Fri. 03/01/19 11:59 PM Central Time
• Responds to dispatched calls for all types of police services including motor vehicle crashes, assaults, domestic disturbances, thefts and other criminal or civil complaints; first responder to terrorist attack, man-made and natural disasters, frequently deals with DWI suspects/offenders, other intoxicated persons, and persons with mental disorders; patrol assigned geographic area to identify and deter criminal activity and public safety hazards. Investigates traffic accidents; arrests criminal and traffic law violators; issues citations and testifies in legal proceedings; conducts investigations of criminal offenses, participates and provides accurate reports/testimony in internal investigations, searches for missing persons, and attends all public safety incidents.
• Operates an emergency vehicle during both the day and night, in emergency and pursuit situations involving speeds in excess of posted limits while exercising due care and caution, and in exception to traffic control devices, in congested traffic, in unsafe road conditions and environmental conditions such as fog, smoke, rain, ice, and snow. Communicate effectively over law enforcement radio channels while initiating traffic stops and responding to calls for service, often under stressful conditions such as siren usage and high-speed vehicle operation.
• Writes reports of offenses, accidents, arrests and other public safety incidents; directs traffic; intervenes and mediates in crisis situations and all types of disputes; performs building and residence security checks; provides high law enforcement visibility to deter crime and inspire community sense of security; refers citizens with non-law enforcement problems to appropriate social service agencies. Attend shift briefings; obtain assignments and equipment. Communicate with other officers, detectives, and district attorney's office about cases.
• Executes misdemeanor and felony warrants of arrest; receives crime victims and general public at front desk, refers them to the proper authority; takes fines and bonds and releases prisoners; fingerprints immigration licensing applicants, employment applicants. Transfers prisoners to and from other agencies. Presents crime prevention programs; provide residential and commercial security surveys. Performs related duties and special projects as assigned. Responsible for regular attendance and arriving to work on time.
• Must be at least 21 years of age.
• Must be a United States Citizen.
• Must have a High School Diploma or G.E.D. Certificate.
• Must possess a valid Texas Class "C" driver license. Must have and maintain a good driving record in accordance with the driving standards as established by the City of Midlothian.
• TCOLE certification as a Police Officer preferred, but not required.
• If in the U.S. military, provide proof of discharge (DD-214).
• Possess visual acuity to the extent that both eyes are correctable to at least 20/20 binocular vision. Vision capable of distinguishing basic color groups against a favorable background. No significant interference with night vision.
• Must have functional sense of smell.
• Uncorrected hearing with no loss greater than 25 dB in the 500, 1000, 2000, or 3000 hertz frequencies as measured by an audiometer.
• Must pass a written examination, physical agility test, physical exam, background investigation, polygraph test, psychological test, and an oral interview by Interviewing Board. Some of these requirements may be waived depending on licensing status and employment history.
• Must demonstrate the highest integrity on- and off-duty, demonstrate the ability to pay just debts and not arbitrarily neglect to pay just debts, demonstrate responsibility in financial obligations, maintain composure and perform effectively in stressful situations.
• Must provide a breath or blood sample if pulled over under suspicion of DWI. Must submit to random drug tests given job assignments.