Responsible for the performance of professional police work on an assigned shift through the enforcement of state laws and College rules/regulations to protect life and property and ensure the maintenance of law and order throughout the College community. Responds to incidents such as emergencies, disturbances, natural disasters and accidents, and has the authority under Nebraska state statutes to make arrests, conduct criminal investigations, and respond to emergency situations. Works with other law enforcement agencies that have concurrent jurisdiction on MCC property as necessary and appropriate.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
1. Participates in various departmental duties including but not limited to crime prevention and/or detection, investigating criminal activity, arrest procedures, interrogations, interviews, and ensuring the maintenance of law and order throughout the community.
2. Patrols buildings and grounds by foot, vehicle, or bicycle to deter unlawful or other inappropriate activity by making assigned rounds in accordance with prescribed policies and procedures to prevent crime. Secures buildings to ensure the physical security of equipment and projects. Opens and closes buildings and sets alarm systems.
3. Monitors, investigates and/or reports unusual or suspicious conditions or incidents. Conducts follow-up investigations as needed.
4. Provides information to the public, students and/or other employees on applicable rules and regulations, office and facility locations, and related issues.
5. Enforces Nebraska State Statutes, local ordinances and College rules and regulations.
6. Effectively communicates with people to include conflict resolution, information gathering, and public relations.
7. Responds to emergencies, in order to protect persons and property, by going to the appropriate location; assessing the situation; following prescribed instructions; applying basic knowledge of First Aid, CPR and other emergency procedures as appropriate; and requesting additional assistance when needed.
8. Assists in building evacuations and searches to ensure occupants’ safety by notifying them of the threatening situation(s), providing instructions as directed, and looking for and reporting unidentified or unusual substances as assigned.
9. Prepares detailed incident reports and maintains daily log records by collecting relevant information and accurately completing routine forms.
10. As requested, escorts students and/or staff to their vehicles to ensure their safe passage.
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED) required.
- United States citizenship required.
- Must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age at the time of hire.
- Nebraska Law Enforcement Officer Certification or non-certified candidates must meet all requirements to attend the 16-week basic training course at the Nebraska Law Enforcement Training Center. Current active duty status preferred but not required. Inactive certified candidates must be qualified to return to active duty status by process of reactivation. Candidates currently certified as a law enforcement officer in another state must meet reciprocity requirements to gain Nebraska certification.
- Qualified to carry a firearm and other law enforcement equipment as directed by Police Department policy and in compliance with city, federal and state laws.
- May be required to pass physical, psychological, and medical exams.
- Current certification or ability to be certified in CPR, AED and First Aid.
- Valid driver’s license and insurability to drive college vehicles is required.
- Must pass a thorough background investigation.
- Candidates must have no felony or serious misdemeanor convictions of crimes.
- Associates Degree preferred.
- Current active duty preferred.
Salary/Hourly Rate $27.53-$33.04
Shift Differential $1.00 per hour Shift Differential from 6pm-6am