Scope of Work: The patrolman is charged with the prevention of crime throughout the jurisdiction by providing a city-wide patrol presence operating throughout the shift. He/She is charged with the preliminary investigation of crimes and other incidents reported to the police and the preparation of records which provide a permanent record of the incident and action taken. Work involves situations where physical violence is possible.
Detailed Work Activities
MAJOR JOB TASKS: (All duties listed may not be found in each position, nor does the list necessarily include all tasks which may be assigned to positions in this class.)
- Patrols a designated area of the city on foot, on a motorcycle, or in an automobile to preserve law and order, to prevent and discover the commission of crime, to direct traffic at school crossings and street intersections and to enforce traffic and parking regulations.
- Answers calls for complaints involving fire, automobile accidents, and robberies and other misdemeanors and felonies.
- At the scene of a crime, administers first-aid, conducts preliminary investigations, gathers evidence, obtains witnesses and makes arrests; testifies as witness in court.
- At the scene of automobile accidents, administers first-aid, interviews witnesses and gathers information and prepares detailed accident investigation reports.
- Interviews persons with complaints and inquiries and attempts to make proper disposition or directs them to proper authorities.
- Gives advice on laws and ordinances and general information to the public.
Education: Any combination of training and experience equivalent to graduation from a standard high school.
Experience: Must have a successful employment history, with no history of arrests or convictions.
Individual must pass a background check at the time of employment in this position