Salary: Entry $27.788.
Open until filled
Cleveland Metroparks Police Department, a CALEA accredited and nationally recognized law enforcement agency, is hiring full-time Police Officers. This law enforcement position provides for park visitor’s safety and the protection of Park District natural resources. Police Officers enforce Park District ordinances and State laws, and enhance park user experience through assistance, information, and education.
- The primary duties of a Police Officer are performed in both a general office environment and an outdoor environment that may include exposure to adverse weather conditions and to potential personal danger.
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to discern verbal instructions, to communicate effectively, to interrogate and interview people, to discern noises that may require investigation, and to perform telephone and radio communication.
- Sufficient vision or other powers of observation, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to comprehend written work instructions, to read and write reports, correspondence, etc., to perform surveillance, to operate a police vehicle both day and night, to observe criminal and traffic violations taking place, to sight and shoot a firearm, to gather evidence at crime scenes and to coordinate detailed investigations.
- Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to use a firearm safely and effectively, to direct traffic, write reports, utilize equipment required for the performance of duties and operate a vehicle.
- Sufficient personal mobility, flexibility, stamina, strength and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to direct traffic, bend or stoop repeatedly, maneuver through and over rough, uneven, slippery or rocky terrain; to climb over fences and walls as necessary; to perform search activities for extended periods of time; to apprehend suspected criminals and to and perform all duties required in a law enforcement environment.
- Freedom from mental disorders which would interfere with performance of duties as described.
- Minimum 21 years of age.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or possess a permanent resident card and a resident of the State of Ohio.
- By the time of appointment, must be certified in law enforcement as required by the Ohio Peace Officers Training Council.
- Must possess a valid State of Ohio Driver’s License and have a good driving record (less than six active points on driving record at the application stage of the hiring process).
- High school diploma or equivalent; associate’s degree or completion of at least 50% of credit requirements towards a bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experience as a law enforcement officer in the State of Ohio preferred.
- Ability to pass physical fitness requirements.
- 20/200 correctable to 20/20 vision in both eyes, with an absence of color blindness.
- Must have an acceptable criminal record and no open or pending criminal cases; no past felony, domestic violence or other serious convictions or admissions.
- Must pass background investigations including drug & psychological testing.
- Willingness to work all shifts, holidays and weekends.