The City of Mequon would like to invite you to apply for the position of Police Officer. This is a continuous job posting with no specific application deadline. The detailed recruitment process, job qualifications and requirements are available for download at the bottom of this page.
Police Officers are responsible for providing services to the community which include the protection of life and property; enforcement of city, state and federal laws; traffic crash investigation; traffic law enforcement; first responder medical services; apprehension of criminals and other police services as needed. Mequon Police Officers promote and preserve peace through citizen cooperation.
The starting pay for the position of Police Officer is $60,064.01. The city offers a comprehensive benefits package and participates in the Wisconsin Retirement System.
Individuals sponsored by the City of Mequon through the law enforcement recruit academy will be compensated while attending the academy.
• Patrols assigned squad area performing building checks, watching for suspicious
situations, enforcing violations and acting as deterrent to criminal/unlawful activity.
• Observes traffic and enforces violations.
• Performs investigations of crimes and accidents including burglary, theft, damage to
property, traffic accidents and takes appropriate action.
• Prepares all necessary reports related to patrol, traffic enforcement, investigations, and
• Responds to public and domestic complaints taking appropriate action including acting
as mediator, subduing/apprehending suspect, and issuing citations.
• Answers phones and responds to walk-in complaints as assigned.
• Attends roll call.
• Makes public presentations.
• Issues subpoenas, citations, and warrants.
• Gives testimony in court.
• Seizes and submits evidence.
• Assists Fire Department personnel on rescue and fire calls.
• Assists other agencies as needed and patrols special events as assigned.
• Participates in mandatory training.
• Carries, qualifies and maintains a firearm.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
Minimum Requirements for Police Officer:
- United States citizen.
- Possess a valid Wisconsin Driver’s license(at time of appointment).
- Attained a minimum age of 21 years.
- Have never been convicted of a felony or domestic violence related incident.
- Have a high school diploma or GED 6. Possess either a two‐year associate degree from a Wisconsin technical college system district or its accredited equivalent from another state or a minimum of 60 fully accredited college level credits..
- Ability to communicate in English, both orally and in writing, in a clear manner using appropriate grammar and spelling.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle under normal and adverse conditions while maintaining the ability to communicate and activate the equipment in the vehicle..
- Ability to make quick decisions, accurate observations, uses sound judgment and maintains a professional demeanor under ordinary and stressful situations. .
- Ability to recall details, copy written and oral information and apply instructions with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to read and comprehend legal and non-legal material written in English.
- Ability to learn and comply with department operations, rules, regulations, policies and procedures associated with the position.
- Ability to learn and apply provisions, procedures, sources and elements of state and federal law and municipal ordinance related to duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to apply concepts, procedures and techniques related to interviewing, investigations, confessions, defense and arrest tactics, evidence preservation, search and seizure and the use of force.
- Be able to pass a thorough background check.