Responsible for the preservation of law and order, the protection of life and property, the prevention and detection of crime, the provision of emergency services and the enforcement of laws and ordinances. Provides primary police protection by active patrol of the city.
Works under the direction of the Police Chief.
- Enforces laws, statutes, and City ordinances.
- Performs investigations into criminal matters.
- Apprehends and detains suspects and violators.
- Responds to calls for police service, including domestic disputes, auto accidents, crimes in progress, and medical emergencies.
- Investigates complaints involving violation of state and federal laws and City ordinances.
- Patrols streets and highways, residential and business areas, and buildings to prevent and protect against criminal activities.
- Participates in crime prevention, community policing, and school/community events.
- Takes reports from citizens and completes reports in a timely manner.
- Investigates traffic accidents, including preparing reports and gathering evidence.
- May perform specialized assignments such as DMT operator, Use of Force Instructor, Taser Instructor, Firearms Instructor, etc.
- Ensures proper maintenance and safe operation of all vehicles and equipment.
- Perform other duties as assigned or apparent.
- Must be licensed or eligible to be licensed as a Minnesota Police Officer in accordance with the standards established by the Minnesota Peace Officers Standards and Training Board (POST).
- Valid Minnesota Class D Driver’s License or eligibility to be licensed.
- First Aid and CPR Certificates. or the ability to obtain the proper certifications within 6 months of hire and maintain thereafter.
- Associate degree in law enforcement or related field.
- One year of experience in law enforcement or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to pass an oral evaluation, background investigation, and psychological and physical exams.
- Bachelor’s degree in law enforcement or related field.
- Two years of experience in law enforcement or related field.