Industry: Protective Service
Occupational Category: Law Enforcement
Lafayette Police which provides “Service with honor and integrity” seeks Police Officers. The department wishes to hire individuals who share our values; “creative, eclectic and diverse.” Seeking candidates who are P.O.S.T. certified or are currently in an Academy and are able to become P.O.S.T. certified soon.
If you meet the minimum requirements of this position, we invite you to apply. Documentation to prove your minimum qualification is required. Please upload a copy of your diploma or college transcripts as proof of your education and your P.O.S.T certificate or proof of attendance in the Police Academy.
Performs a range of duties related to the enforcement of Federal, State and local laws and ordinances, protection of life and property and public assistance.
The Police Officer class is signified by the training and developmental aspects of obtaining and refining skills in law enforcement practices and procedures and by proficiency in handling law enforcement and public assistance and protection.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The following duties are illustrative only and are not intended to be all inclusive.
- Patrols within the City on foot and in a police vehicle to enforce Federal, State and local laws and ordinances, to protect individuals and property; responds to complaints, crimes, disturbances, accidents and other related situations.
- Performs preliminary investigations; may obtain physical and other evidence and statements necessary for reporting facts and circumstances of incidents, in order to charge someone with an offense, and for follow-up detailed investigations; Protects crime scenes.
- Appears in court to offer testimony; meets and confers with attorneys on legal questions; arrest of individuals as required.
- Prepares and maintains a variety of reports, records and logs necessary to report daily activities and specific incidents.
- Observes and controls vehicular traffic and enforces traffic laws; attends to traffic accident situations; establishes and maintains roadblocks as necessary.
- Interacts with the public in a variety of settings; e.g., provides counseling to families and individuals in disturbance situations, offers assistance to citizens and visitors including providing directions and calling for vehicular roadside assistance.
- Will be required to maintain the required level of physical fitness in order to perform the duties of the position; and perform related work as required and assigned.
- Has not applied with Lafayette in the last six months.
- Laterals from other police department are encouraged.
- Is POST certified or currently in Academy with the ability to become POST certified.
- Bilingual candidates encouraged.
- Spanish speakers preferred.
- Is at least 21 years of age.
- Has a valid Class "R" Colorado driver's license.
- Has a safe driving record.
- Has High School Diploma or equivalent and
- Has at least 30 semester hours of college completed.
- OR two (2) years military service having been honorably discharged.
- OR one (1) year experience as a sworn police officer or corrections officer in a duly constituted governmental (local, state or federal) law enforcement agency or correctional institution.
- OR a combination of any of the above categories that is approved by the City's Human Resources Department.
Please provide the following documentation as a supplement to your application:
- Copy of driver's license
- Copy of motor vehicle report
- Honorable discharge from the military or
- 30 semester hours in college or
- Experience as a sworn Police Officer