$77,760 – $ 105,828/Annually
This sworn working-level law enforcement class performs all non-supervisory assignments found in a municipal police department. While incumbents are normally assigned to rotating beats for patrol or traffic enforcement, all functional areas of the law enforcement field, including investigation, youth services, administration, and training are included. Incumbents may be armed and may be assigned to work in uniform or plain clothes. Shift schedules and job assignments may be changed periodically to assure the maximum delivery of effective police service. This class is distinguished from Police Sergeant in that the latter is the first supervisory level in this sworn class series.
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
- Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth (12th) grade.
- Two (2) years of college-level coursework in law enforcement, police, social, or behavioral science is desirable.
- Valid California class C driver’s license with satisfactory driving record.
- Graduation from accredited P.O.S.T. Academy.
- Possession and maintenance of firearms qualification.
- Title 22 First Aid/CPR Certificate is preferred.