Function: To enforce the law, provide service, information and aid to all citizens as circumstances require, assist and support victims of crime, prevent crime, suppress disturbances, investigate criminal offenses, and arrest offenders. Serves as a Campus Security Authority as defined by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act).
To perform law enforcement duties on the property under the control and jurisdiction of Lamar University or as otherwise authorized or required by law.
- Preserve the peace by the use of all lawful means, interceding, when authorized by law, to prevent or suppress crime.
- Execute all lawful process.
- Arrest offenders with and without warrant when authorized by law. Investigate criminal offenses to detect and arrest criminals, and recover stolen or lost property.
- Attempt to locate missing persons. Enforce traffic law by detecting violations, making violator contacts, placing violators in custody or issuing citations or warnings. Investigate motor vehicle collisions.
- Prepare various written reports narrating law enforcement and police activities.
- Give credible and accurate testimony in the criminal courts of this state and the United States. Confers with prosecuting attorneys, preserves evidence, and maintains confidential information.
- Confers with local law enforcement, criminal justice and emergency response agencies on matters of mutual interest. Provides assistance and support to the victims of crime.
Received: Direct supervision of work by Corporals, Sergeants and other supervisors –as assigned.
Required: High School Diploma or GED; and
a. Successful completion of a Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) approved Basic Peace Officer Course (or the equivalent as authorized by law and TCOLE rules), has successfully passed the TCOLE peace officer licensing examination, OR
b. Meets the minimum qualifications to attend a Texas Basic Police Officer Academy, as established by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement, and is currently enrolled in a Police Academy.