Performs general or special duty police work in the protection of life and property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances. Assignments may be as necessitated by department need (ex: CID, Patrol, Training, etc.)
- Monitors intersection traffic lights and stop signs for possible violations;
- May concentrate on DUI drivers and the traffic flow on arterials; runs periodic business checks.
- Prevents and discovers commission of crimes;
- Apprehends criminals and offenders;
- Makes presence known consistent with community policing and in a manner which contributes to deterrence and solving of crime;
- Answers calls/radio complaints involving fire, vehicle accidents, robberies, domestic violence situations, neighborhood disturbances and other misdemeanors, felonies, or service calls;
- Secures crime scene.
- Conducts preliminary investigations, gathers evidence, obtains witnesses and issues citations or makes arrests if appropriate;
- Interviews witnesses, gathers information and prepares detailed report;
- Prepares case files for court prosecution;
- Participates in annual and other regular training programs in police methods and procedure, target practice and related subjects.
- Testifies as a witness in court proceedings and participates in community service activities as a spokesperson of the department.
- At least 21 years of age within 6 months after testing date.
- United States citizen.
- High school graduate or posses an equivalent degree (GED).
- Possess a valid motor vehicle operator license.