Perform general law enforcement work in order to preserve public peace and order; to protect lives, property and rights of the public, and to enforce the laws, and to diminish crime and provide a safe environment in the Town of Colonial Beach. Work involves patrolling of Town
to deter crime or apprehend and/or arrest violators or suspects; responding to calls for law enforcement assistance and gathering information for criminal investigations. The employee is subject to the usual hazards of law enforcement work. Performs related work as required.
- Reduces the commission of crimes and maintains law enforcement by deterrence through high visibility patrol throughout the Town.
- Apprehends and/or arrests persons who violate statutory law and/or municipal ordinances.
- Monitors radio calls: communicates with radio dispatcher and responds to complaints, reports of criminal events, requests for law enforcement, and domestic or public disputes. Inspects troublesome areas and checks security of business establishments.
- Secures crime scenes.
- Gathers information in criminal investigations by interviewing victims, witnesses, and suspects; performs searches of people, vehicles and buildings; prepares investigative reports of findings, facts and related information; makes arrests and processes arrested suspects.
- Detects and collects evidence and substances that provide the basis for probable cause for criminal acts; and testifies in court.
- Enforces traffic laws and regulations. Detects traffic violators; performs traffic accident investigations and makes reports. Facilitates the movement of traffic and pedestrians around accidents, disabled traffic control devices or heavily congested areas. Assists disabled motorists.
- Directs traffic for funerals and other public gatherings.
- Performs rescue functions at accidents, emergency scenes and disaster areas.
- Serves criminal warrants and search warrants.