If you are interested in a career in law enforcement in central Iowa, we welcome you to apply to serve as a Police Officer for the City of West Des Moines. Whether you are a certified officer who is looking for a department to call home or a person who is driven to serve, see what we have to officer and then accept the challenge. We offer outstanding pay, benefits, and a place to raise a family.
Starting – $64,622 yearly
Lateral – Up to $74,818
Senior Officer Pay – $103,938 as of July 2025
• 5 Day On/4 Day Off Patrol Schedule
• 10 Hour Shifts
• Employee Wellness Program
• Onsite Fitness Facility
• Health, Life, and Dental Insurance
• Shift Differential
• Education Reimbursement
• Longevity Pay
• 2-5 Weeks of Vacation Per Year
• 10 Paid Holidays Per Year
• 1 Personal Day Per Year
• 96 Hours of Sick Leave Per Year
- Patrol Officer
- Field Training Officer
- Traffic Enforcement Officer
- Bicycle Patrol
- Honor Guard
- Crisis Intervention Team Officer
- Entertainment Response Unit Officer
- K-9 Handler
- Narcotics Task Force Investigator
- DEI Liaison Officer
- Suburban Emergency Response Team
- Community Education and Outreach
- Training and Emergency Management
- School Resource Officer
- Crime Free Multi-Housing Community
Qualified applicants MUST:
- Possess a high school diploma or GED AND an Associate’s Degree or two (2) years of college (60 credits) in any academic major. Education substitutes are three (3) years of active military duty or three (3) years of service as a sworn officer.
- Be twenty-one (21) years of age on or before date of written entrance examination.
- Be a citizen of the United States at the time of application.
- Have uncorrected vision of not less than 20/100 in both eyes, corrected to 20/20, and color vision consistent with the Occupational demands of law enforcement.
- Possess a valid (Iowa) driver’s license at the time of hire and good driving record.
- Be of good moral character and have not been convicted of a felony or crime involving moral turpitude.