The City of Derby strives to be an employer of choice and our desire is to attract and retain honest, hard working and motivated employees who are committed to providing the highest quality of service to the citizens of Derby. We offer competitive wages, awesome benefits, including affordable health insurance with no deductible and no coinsurance and retirement benefits.
What we offer:
- Pay range: $23.23 to $31.43/hour (additional pay for experienced officers).
- Hiring Bonus ($2,500 for commissioned officers and $1,500 for prior military)
- Education Pay: All certified officers are eligible to receive education pay of $2,000 ($500 each year for 4 years) for a Bachelor degree and a total of $3,500 ($500 for 7 years) for a Master degree or higher.
- Enforce state laws and city ordinances.
- Patrol the community routinely and conduct traffic enforcement to ensure a safe and secure community.
- Engage in citizen contact situations such as business checks, assisting stranded motorists, suspicious person contacts, crime prevention sharing with civic organizations or homeowners, and any action in furtherance of the community policing philosophy of the department.
- Provide basic response to crime scenes including identification, preservation, and collection of evidence.
- Provide advanced processing of non-critical crime scene as assigned by the on-duty Watch Commander. (Police Officer 2 & 3)
- Conduct thorough criminal and traffic investigations.
- Apprehend violators in a reasonable and lawful manner following established laws, policies and regulations. Transport detainees to appropriate facilities.
- Assist citizens with situations that involve crime, traffic concerns, quality of life issues or any situation that requires a police response.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
- Some college, preferred.
- Must have satisfied all requirements as set forth in K.S.A. 74-5605 “Qualifications of Applicant (Police Officer) for Training Course Requirements.”
- Must complete 40 hours of continuing education training annually, as required.
- One year of law enforcement experience, preferred.
- Valid Kansas driver’s license and driving record must meet commercial liability insurance requirements.