$2,000 Signing Bonus*
$22.94 Per Hour With Benefits After Completion of a Multi-Week Field Training Program at $18.88 Per Hour With Benefits
Essential Job Functions:
- Performs professional law enforcement work.
- Operates a police vehicle to patrol designated areas to preserve law and order; to prevent and detect the commission of crimes; to enforce criminal and traffic laws and to provide general assistance to the public.
- Operates a police radio to maintain communications with headquarters and supervisor.
- Responds to calls and complaints of incidents involving traffic accidents, criminal activities or violations, including misdemeanors, felonies and other accidents or disasters.
- Secures the scene of the incident to restore peace, protect evidence, property and assist injured persons.
- Administers first aid; calls for medical assistance; interviews complainants and witnesses; takes detailed statements from witnesses and suspects; issues summonses when appropriate.
Minimum Education & Experience:
- Must be at least 19 years of age and a citizen of the United States.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma.
- Must not have been convicted of a felony, misdemeanor involving perjury or the making of false claims.
- Must not have received a dishonorable discharge from any of the armed forces of the United States.
- Must pass a physical examination with a drug screen.
- Must demonstrate acceptable physical agility and strength.
- Must have a good moral character.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation, including a polygraph examination.
- Must be able to successfully complete all training requirements including the State required police academy curriculum, field training program, periodic in-service training and weaponry qualifications and a one-year probationary period.
- Current Florida State certified law enforcement officers, graduates of a Florida police academy having passed the Florida State Officer Certification Exam, or certified officers from another state who have completed the Florida State Equivalency course are preferred.
- Must possess a valid Florida Class E drivers’ license and a good driving record as determined by the City of Winter Haven.
- All new hires will be classified as a Police Officer Trainee, compensated at a lesser rate of pay, and must undergo a multi-week Field Training Program.
- Upon satisfactory completion of the training program, the incumbent will be re-classified as a Police Officer with the rate of pay adjusted to at least the minimum of this same classification.