The City of Newton, Iowa is accepting applications for the position of entry level (non-certified) or lateral (certified) Police Officer. The Newton Police Department is a full service law enforcement agency consisting of 24 sworn and 5 non-sworn employees and includes a school resource officer, narcotics detective, general crimes detective, K9 unit and motorcycle unit.
POSITION OVERVIEW: Under the general supervision of the shift supervisor, protects life and property, prevents crime, apprehends criminals, and enforces laws and ordinances in a designated area on an assigned shift; performs related duties as required. Position is subject to shift assignment, working weekends and holidays as scheduled.
Open Until: October 21, 2019 at 08:00 AM CST
Rate of Pay: $52,668 – $63,156 Entry Level
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Patrols a designated area of the city on an assigned shift in a marked police vehicle; answers calls for service complaints; prevents and discovers the commission of crimes; makes his or her presence known in a manner that contributes to the deterrence of law violations; apprehends criminals and offenders; enforces vehicle and traffic laws; conducts accident investigations; gathers evidence; locates and questions suspects and witnesses; responds to domestic complaints; establishes traffic control and protection; testifies in court; prepares and submits clear and concise oral and written reports; retrieves investigative information through use of computer and assists in report writing; establishes and maintains a cooperative relationship with the community; conducts police programs in schools; and performs all other related work as required.
As an investigator for the Investigations Unit, instigates and conducts criminal and juvenile investigations on a daily basis; assists city or county prosecutor's office with relevant material and facts for court preparation; conducts follow-up investigations as assigned; assists in the preparations of search warrants, non-testimonial orders, and/or any other court orders used in criminal investigations.
NON-ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Field Training Officer, In-Service Training Instructor, Self Defense Instructor, Firearm Instructor, Impact Weapons Instructor, Chemical Munitions Instructor, School Resource Officer, Tactical Team Member, Motorcycle Officer, Drug Recognition Expert, Traffic Safety Officer, and Investigator for regional drug task force.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Includes extended periods outdoors in adverse weather conditions; sits or stands for long periods as conditions demand; may be exposed to hazardous or unpleasant conditions during special events or criminal investigations.
1. Be a U. S. Citizen and a resident of Iowa or intend to become a resident upon being employed (as referenced in Iowa Administrative Code 2.1(1).
2. 18 years of age at the time of appointment.
3. Hold a valid Iowa driver's license.
4. Not be addicted to drugs or alcohol [modified for Chapter 400 civil service positions by§400.17 of the Code of Iowa].
5. Be of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation including a fingerprint search conducted of local, state and national fingerprint files and have not been convicted of a felony or a crime involving moral turpitude;
6. Successfully pass physical fitness tests (entry level) and maintain department physical fitness standard.
7. Not be opposed to use of force to fulfill duties.
8. Be a high school graduate or hold a GED certificate;
9. Have uncorrected vision of not less than 20/100 in both eyes, corrected to 20/20, and color vision consistent with the Occupational demands of law enforcement;
10. Have normal hearing in each ear (hearing aids are acceptable if a candidate can demonstrate sufficient hearing proficiency to perform all necessary duties of a law enforcement officer)
11. Be examined by a physician and meet the physical requirements necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of a law enforcement officer.