Under the general supervision of the shift supervisor, a Newton police officer is charged with protecting life and property, preventing crime, apprehending criminals, and enforcing laws and ordinances in a designated area on an assigned shift. The position is subject to shift assignment and working weekends and holidays as scheduled.
Salary & Benefits
- Starting Salary: $57,432 for Entry Level Non-Certified, $68,856 for Iowa Certified Officers, and up to $76,320 after six years.
- $2,000 Bonus for Entry Level Candidates — $1,000 upon successful completion of Iowa Law Enforcement Academy and $1,000 upon successful completion of 9-month probation period.
- $8,000 Bonus for Lateral Certified Officers — $2,000 upon hire, $2,000 upon successful completion of 9-month probation period, $2,000 following 1 year of service, $2,000 following 2 years of service.
Required Special Qualifications:
- U.S. citizen and resident of Iowa or intends to become a resident upon appointment;
- 18 years of age upon appointment;
- High school diploma or GED equivalency certificate;
- Valid Iowa Driver’s or Chauffer’s License upon appointment;
- Meets minimum hiring standards as outlined in Iowa Administrative Code-501.