Carlow University invites applicants for the full-time Police Officer position. Under the supervision of the Chief of Police, a Police Officer in the Carlow University Campus Police Department patrols assigned areas of property used, owned or occupied by Carlow University and the Sisters of Mercy. The primary objective of the Campus Police Officer is to provide a safe and secure environment for all members of a diverse University community by means of an alert and vigilant prevention patrol. In addition, they must be equally concerned with delivery of a wide variety of services consistent with needs of the university, its administrative staff, its faculty, students, the Sisters of Mercy, and visitors.
• Maintain peace, order, and morality, protect persons and property, prevent crime, and apprehend criminals within Carlow University and Sisters of Mercy areas.
• Investigate all crime, protect crime scenes, collect and preserve evidence, investigate accidents, unlawful acts, make legal arrests of offenders, and serve warrants and subpoenas when required
• Prepare required concise reports daily, prepare cases for court, attend hearings when scheduled, and testify before courts and other legally empowered bodies when required.
• Review reports of investigations and recommend further action as necessary.
• Be familiar with and enforce Carlow University Rules and Regulations, and procedures of the Department.
• Perform other duties, functions, and activities as assigned.
• Demonstrates and reflects an understanding of and commitment to the mission and core values of Carlow University and the Sisters of Mercy.
• In the absence of the Chief of Police, the Police Officer will report the Police Sergeant. In absence of the Police Sergeant, the Police will report to the Police Detective.
• Demonstrate and reflect understanding of and commitment to the mission and core values of Carlow University and the Sisters of Mercy.
• The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
• High school diploma or equivalent combination of training and experience.
• Act 120 Certification.
• Act33/34 and FBI Fingerprint Clearances are required along with all clearances required.
• Ability to communicate effectively, in person, via telephone, and in writing.
• Ability to efficiently operate the telephone, two-way radio, email, and related systems.
• Proven problem solving skills with ability to make decisions and take initiative to resolve issues.
• Proven ability to maintain strict confidentiality and to handle sensitive matters using discretion, diplomacy, and good judgment.
• Strong business ethics.
• Physical: Must be able to carry out vigorous patrol of the assigned area, being constantly alert to observe those conditions of things that promote criminal activity and other incidents that require police service by answering all calls, disposing of all complaints in a professional manner, and recording such actions as required by the Department policy.