$46,836.00 – $62,520.00 Annually
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
Performs intermediate protective service work involving a variety of general police assignments. Much of the work is performed under emergency conditions and frequently involves considerable personal hazard. Work is performed under the regular supervision of a police supervisor.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS
- Enforcing laws; investigating criminal activity; ensuring the safety of the public; testifying in court; maintaining records and files; preparing reports.
- On an assigned shift, operates a patrol vehicle or walks to observe for violations of traffic laws, suspicious activities or persons and disturbances of law and order;
- Enforces traffic laws; issues citations for traffic violations;
- Responds to calls for assistance, complaints and disruptive behavior and evaluates situation;
- Serves criminal and civil legal documents, makes arrests;
- Maintains records, testifies in court;
- Measures speed and conducts analysis of breath on suspects;
- Fills out arrest records, takes finger prints;
- Performs prisoner security functions;
- Provides escort services for funerals and businesses;
- Prepares detailed reports on activities and assignments;
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE & SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
- General knowledge of police methods, practices, and procedures.
- General knowledge of pertinent Federal and State laws and municipal ordinances.
- Thorough knowledge of the geography of the City and location of important buildings.
- Thorough knowledge of the rules and regulations of the Police Department.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and to prepare clear comprehensive reports.
- Ability to deal courteously, firmly, and tactfully with the public.
- Ability to analyze situations and to adopt a quick, effective, and reasonable course of action with due regard to hazards and circumstances.
- Possession of physical agility and endurance.
- Skill in the use of firearms and the operation of a motor vehicle.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public.