A Patrol Officer enforces the laws of the United States, the state of South Carolina and all local ordinances in accordance with the rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and orders of the Town and the Department.
- Performs and participates in a variety of routine and complex public activities which may include, but not be limited to: arresting suspects for traffic and criminal offenses, conducting interviews, appearing in court for criminal and other law enforcement related matters, conducting surveillance, responding to calls for
service, and providing direction and guidance in the handling of difficult and dangerous situations.
- Carries out duties in conformance with federal, state, county and town laws and ordinances.
- Communicates effectively with others orally and in writing, using both technical and non-technical language.
- Prepares a variety of reports and records pursuant to South Carolina law, town ordinance, and department policy utilizing handwritten and computer documents.
- Required to perform shift work including days, evenings and nights including weekends and holidays.
- Responds to requests made by supervisors affecting the daily business operations of the Police Department.
- Demonstrates continuous effort to work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service.
- Using excellent customer service skills establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other employees, officials, and all members of the public.
- Obeys safety rules and exercises caution in all work activities.
- Maintains harmony among co-workers and uses the highest ethical discretion when dealing with Police Department business.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Department supervisors.
- High School Diploma or GED (or College Degree and/or Transcript).
- No experience required; however, past law enforcement experience preferred.
- Valid South Carolina Driver’s License or ability to secure South Carolina.
- Driver’s License upon employment.
- Applicant must be 21 years or older at the time of employment and must be a U.S.citizen.
- Applicant cannot have a disqualifying incident on driving record such as driving under the influence of alcohol, dangerous drugs, reckless homicide, involuntary manslaughter, or leaving the scene of an accident.
- Applicant must pass a satisfactory background check.
- Applicant must pass a drug test.
- Applicant must be of good moral character and of temperate and industrious habits.
- Applicant must be found to be free from any physical, emotional, or mental conditions that might adversely affect the exercise of the power of a peace officer or adversely affect the ability of the officer to perform essential job functions.
- Applicant must be able to read and write the English language, must be able to work irregular and overtime hours as well as normal daily hours.