Closing : 01/05/2023
Provides direct services in the enforcement of the law, maintenance of public order, control of traffic in City streets by the performance of surveillance, intervention, arrest, direction of emergency activities or a variety of related acts.
Works under the supervision of a Police Sergeant assigned to patrol, investigative, administrative and support services operation, activities and programs.
Salary: $29.53 hourly
Examples of Duties:
- Patrols City streets;
- Responds to calls for police assistance or service;
- Directs traffic where needed;
- Provides emergency assistance to ill or injured citizens;
- Arrests law violators; testifies in judicial proceedings;
- Maintains custody of prisoners;
- Makes reports;
- Conducts initial investigation of alleged criminal conduct;
- Maintains order in crowds;
- Advises public on laws in force;
- Enforces traffic laws, issues citations where indicated;
- Investigates suspicious persons or activities;
- Records, stores, and is responsible for evidence for future court cases, and lost items that have been found and turned in by members of the general public;
- Attends roll-calls;
- Attends training sessions;
- Other duties as assigned;
- Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies, procedures and safety practices;
- Attends work regularly at the designated place and time;
- Supports continuous process improvement initiatives;
- Performs related work as required.
Acceptable Experience and Training:
- Training and experience as prescribed by the Civil Service Commission.
Required Special Qualifications:
- U.S. citizen and resident of Iowa or intends to become a resident upon appointment;
- 18 years of age upon appointment;
- Valid Iowa Driver’s or Chauffer’s License upon appointment;
- Meets minimum hiring standards as outlined in Iowa Administrative Code-501.