GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK:
Under general supervision, perform full range of police duties including routine patrol, law enforcement, preliminary investigations, and traffic control for a designated area on an assigned shift. With experience and training, may be assigned to specialized assignments including, but not limited to investigations, tactical, community relations, school resource, and administrative or staff functions.
This position is part of a Career Development program.
Police Officer Recruit – ENTRY LEVEL – $19.7804 per hour/43,714.68 Annually
Police Officer 1 – Commissioned Officer – $24.8113 per hour/ $54,832.97 Annually
Police Officer 2 – $26.5478 per hour/ $58,670.64 Annually
Police Officer 3 – $28.4066 per hour/ $62,778.59 Annually
Police Officer 4 – $29.8265 per hour/ $65,916.57 Annually
Police Officer 5 – $31.3178 per hour/ $69,212.34 Annually
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Patrol designated area of the City by radio equipped car, bicycle, or on foot to prevent, discover, and deter crime, enforce criminal law, direct traffic, and enforce motor vehicle operation and parking regulations.
- Respond to calls and complaints involving fire, automobile accidents, domestic and neighborhood disturbances, assaults, robberies, and other misdemeanors and felonies.
- Write detailed reports on police-related activities.
- Interview persons with complaints and make proper disposition or direct them to the proper authorities.
- Secure crime scenes, administer first aid, arbitrate disputes, conduct preliminary and follow-up investigations, gather evidence, obtain witness statements, apprehend suspects, make arrests and transport offenders.
- Enter and retrieve data and information using a Mobile Data Terminal (MDT).
- Give advice and general information to inquiries from the public.
- When assigned, conduct criminal and/or undercover investigations.
- Testify as a witness in court in connection with written citations, arrests and investigations.
- Assist in the training of departmental personnel
Must be at least 21 years of age.
Must be a citizen of the United States.
Must be a high school graduate or an acceptable equivalent and meet at least oneof the following conditions:
- Completed at least two years of college (48 semester hours or 72 quarter hours) with a grade point average of at least 2.0 on a 4-point scale.
- A minimum of two consecutive years of experience as a full time, commissioned law enforcement officer with a record of exemplary service.
- A minimum of four years of service in the United States Armed Forces with a record of exemplary service.
Must not have been convicted of or pleaded guilty to or entered a plea of nolo contendere to any felony charge or to any violation of any federal or state law or city ordinances relating to force violence, theft, dishonesty, gambling, liquor or controlled substance.
Must never have been discharged from any branch of the Armed Forces under other than honorable conditions.
Must have a good driving record.
Must possess a valid Driver License.