This position is responsible for enforcing state and local laws as well as campus regulations and for protecting life and property for Middle Georgia State University.
• Patrols to detect and deter crime and to offer assistance when needed.
• Enforces parking regulations; issues citations.
• Investigates suspicious activities or persons.
• Checks the security of buildings.
• Prepares required reports.
• Investigates traffic accidents and criminal or non-criminal incidents.
• Makes arrests of individuals who have committed crimes.
• Testifies in court as required.
• Provides assistance to motorists.
• Responds to emergency incidents.
• Provides security and traffic enforcement at special events.
• Performs related duties.
• Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school or equivalent.
• Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position.
• Ability to meet current requirements set forth by the Police Standards and Training Council for the State of Georgia.
• Skill in the operation of computers and job related software programs.
• Skill in decision making and problem solving.
• Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
• Skill in oral and written communication.
• Post-certified peace officer with knowledge of public safety principles as related to university campuses.
• Knowledge of modern law enforcement principles and practices.
• Knowledge of community policing principles.
• Knowledge of emergency preparedness, response and recovery principles.
• Skill in the operation of specialized law enforcement equipment.