The Police Officer is responsible for providing security services by preventing crime; enforcing laws; apprehending suspects; monitoring traffic.
Duties & Essential Job Functions:
1. Prevents crime by explaining and enforcing applicable federal, state and local laws and ordinances; teaching preventive, protective and defensive tactics; patrolling assigned areas; responding to notices of disturbances; conducting searches; observing suspicious activities; detaining suspects.
2. Apprehends suspects by responding to complaints and calls for help; observing violations; making arrests.
3. Conducts criminal investigations by gathering evidence; interviewing victims and witnesses; interrogating suspects.
4. Documents observations and actions by radioing information; completing reports.
5. Maintains safe traffic conditions by monitoring and directing traffic; enforcing laws and ordinances; investigating accidents; providing escort; reporting unsafe streets and facilities.
6. Minimizes personal injury by rescuing and reviving victims; radioing for medical assistance.
7. Maintains operations by following department policies and procedures; recommending changes.
8. Ensures operation of equipment by practicing use; completing preventive maintenance requirements; troubleshooting malfunctions; notifying supervisor of needed repairs.
9. Maintains professional and technical knowledge by studying applicable federal, state and local law and ordinances; attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; practicing skills; participating in professional societies.
10. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Education & Experience:
• Associates degree or equivalent in experience.
• 1 year of law enforcement experience.
Preferred Education & Experience:
Required Licensure/Certification/Specialized Training:
• Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) Peace Officer Certification.
• Valid Texas Driver’s License.
• Must be insurable under the university motor vehicle requirements.
• Satisfactory results from a post-offer physical examination.
• Ability to become TLETS/TCIC/NCIC certified.