Atlanta Police Department
With an authorized strength of more than 1751 sworn officers, the Atlanta Police Department is the largest law enforcement agency in the State of Georgia, and a dedicated, high-profile force for positive change in our communities.
A full-service police agency, the Department has adopted a community-oriented philosophy and relies heavily upon community input and collaborative problem-solving strategies. It is through heightened community involvement in public safety matters that the Atlanta Police Department will most effectively address its many priorities, including, but not limited to youth-related crime, domestic violence and the perception of crime in Atlanta.
The delivery of professional police services in Atlanta is coordinated through the three divisions and one bureau of the Atlanta Police Department, and includes:
- Routine services such as uniform patrol operations, criminal investigations, technical and administrative support services, and the regulation of vehicles for hire.
- Around-the-clock emergency police response facilitated by strategically located police precincts throughout the City and at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.
- Citizen Advisory Councils and Neighborhood Planning Units representing 139 separate neighborhoods, which promote citizen input for Departmental decisions.
- Numerous mini-precincts, foot patrols and bicycle patrols, encouraging personalized policing and frequent citizen-officer interaction.
All individuals applying for employment with the Atlanta Police Department must meet the following conditions:
- United States citizenship or naturalization documentation.
- Minimum age of 20 (At least six months after your 20th birthday).
- A valid driver's license.
- High School diploma or GED certificate.
- Honorable or uncharacterized discharge from an military branch (if applicable).
- Successful completion of the cognitive skills examination and personality assessment.
- Visual ability NOT less than 20/100 in each eye, uncorrected, or corrected to 20/20 with glasses, contact lenses or surgery.
- Medical examination required upon offer of employment.
- Atlanta Police recruits are required to perform at very high physical levels during the 22 - week Atlanta Police Academy.
- Recruits must also meet rigorous standards during 12 weeks of field training, and significant classroom training.