Police Officer I provides law enforcement and public safety services to the community to include the enforcement of state and local laws, statutes and ordinances, criminal and crash investigation, crime prevention, and traffic enforcement. Areas of assignment include patrol and traffic enforcement. This position requires independent judgement with superior decision-making skills.
- Responsible for the enforcement of federal, state and local laws, including traffic ordinances.
- Assists in the investigation of crimes using state and federal established practices, procedures and techniques. Responsibilities include photographing of crime scene, collection of DNA and physical evidence, fingerprinting and maintaining precise and accurate documentation of investigations.
- Assists the police department in educating the public on the City’s Code, ordinances and state statutes. Responsible for completing clear and concise work related reports in a timely manner.
- Protects the lives and property of Leawood residents by participating in preventive, proactive patrol by vehicle, bicycle and on foot, including surveillance of high crime/incident areas, after-hours patrol of businesses, and house watches.
- Investigates vehicular crashes including directing traffic at crashes, coordinating removal of disabled vehicles and dispatching emergency medical personnel if applicable.
- Administers first aid and emergency medical care to individuals requiring medical assistance when needed until emergency medical personnel arrive on scene.
- Assists in the investigation of missing persons, civil matters and noise disturbances.
- Retrieves pertinent information from emergency and non-emergency calls. Accurately communicates pertinent information to other officers and dispatch by radio, using equipment, codes, and procedures properly to ensure clear, concise, and efficient transmission.
- Responsible for the proper care and use of assigned patrol vehicle, department equipment and weaponry.
- Maintains and ensures department vehicle, equipment and weaponry is in proper operating condition.
- Ensures equipment maintenance is completed and follows proper storage procedures.
- Participates in community outreach initiatives and programs sponsored or facilitated by the police department.
- Performs non-criminal public safety services to the community.
- Reviews and trains to maintain current levels of operations knowledge, stays abreast of continuous changes to laws, statutes, and ordinances, enhances knowledge and learning new skills in relation to public safety.
- Employee may be required to report for duty in response to local, state or national emergency.
- Employee may be asked by the supervisor to perform other duties that are not listed but are essential to the job.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Must successfully obtain and retain certification as a Kansas Law Enforcement Officer.
- Must successfully complete a Leawood Police Department Officer Training Program.
- Must maintain an acceptable discipline, accident, and safety record.
- Completion of NIMS IS100 and IS700 within 90 days of hire.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record per the City’s drivers Use of Vehicles for City Business policy throughout employment with the City.