Starting Pay: $21.16 hourly dependent on knowledge and experience
***The pay for certified officers with experience will be evaluated on a case by case basis***
Examples of Work:
- Patrols a designated area of the city to preserve law and order, to discover and prevent the commission of crime, to direct the flow of traffic when necessary, and to enforce traffic and parking regulations.
- Responds to calls received from a citizen, a dispatcher, or a superior officer.
- At the scene of crimes or accidents, a police officer may be called upon to administer first aid, conduct preliminary investigations, gather evidence, locate witnesses, or make arrests.
- Investigates crimes, interrogates witnesses and suspects, and testifies in court.
- Provides escort services when needed and provides information and directions to motorists and pedestrians.
- Gives advice on laws, ordinances, and public safety to the community.
- Gathers and processes evidence obtained from crime scenes.
- Attends regular training classes in police methods, first aid, target practice, and related subjects.
- Writes reports related to any case that has been investigated.
- Performs what administrative work is necessary related to property management, training, or personnel.
Minimum Preparation for Work:
- Graduation from high school or equivalent; and
- Ability to meet approved age, mental, physical, psychological and medical requirements for this class.
- Possession of Official Certification of Compliance in law enforcement issued by the State of Florida.
- Possession of out of State Certification with continued employment contingent upon receiving State of Florida issued Official Certification of Compliance within one year.
Necessary Special Requirements:
- Possession of an appropriate driver license for equipment operated and any license, training or certification required by law or regulation to complete assigned tasks.
- Applicants must have been free from the use of tobacco or tobacco products for six (6) months prior to application and remain tobacco-free for the duration of employment.