Perform police services to achieve the effective protection of lives and property. Must be POST eligible by October 1, 2018.
Closing 5/4/2018 11:59 PM Central
Salary $29.41 – $39.21 Hourly
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Responds on or off duty to police calls and emergencies as directed.
• Deters and detects unlawful activities by effective police work. Includes patrolling assigned areas, checking for suspicious activities, actively seeking wanted persons or property.
• Responds to and effectively handles police calls for assistance. Properly investigates complaints, maintains order in disputes.
• Responds to and handles medical and police emergencies. Provides rescue help and emergency first aid as necessary. Provides support to Fire Department personnel as necessary and as directed by supervisors.
• Apprehends violators. Performs investigation work, including the identification and gathering of evidence, questioning of victims, suspects and witnesses; following up on related leads, etc. Takes written and oral statements from victims and witnesses. Arrests and processes suspects, documents evidence, appears and/or testifies in court as required. Serves subpoenas as directed.
• Monitors and ensures proper flow of traffic. Directs traffic as needed, reports hazardous conditions, gives warnings and issues citations. Enforces parking ordinances, reports abandoned or damage vehicles, and assists stranded motorists.
• Investigates and prepares reports on traffic accidents as directed. Gathers evidence from drivers and witnesses, prepares diagrams of the accident scene and reports for police records.
• Maintains effective community relations. Includes answering questions, providing directions and prompt assistance as needed, and participating in public relations activities as directed.
• Improves and maintains individual police skills, including physical conditioning. Stays current with developments in the police field and changes in related laws and ordinances.
• Ensures proper maintenance and safe operation of assigned vehicles and equipment. Reports damage, loss or improperly operating equipment to an immediate supervisor.
• Performs other related duties as apparent or assigned.
Licensed or eligible to be licensed by the Minnesota Board of Peace Officers Standards and Training. Valid Driver's License. Ability to pass a fitness test, and a comprehensive background check; covering criminal, financial, educational, employment and personal history.
Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university. Fluency in a second language, in addition to English, that has a recognized presence in the community (Spanish, Russian, Hmong, etc.).
Knowledge of and ability to perform standard operating procedures required in daily law enforcement operations; including but not limited to report writing, traffic stops, arrests and booking.
Knowledge of city ordinances and state and federal laws including rules of evidence.
Ability to effectively utilize human relations skills and abilities in resolving disputes and similar problems through verbal and non-verbal communication.
Ability to communicate ideas and explanations clearly in English, both orally and in writing.
Ability to establish and maintain positive, professional working relationships with co-workers and supervisors.
Ability to work with the public in a friendly, tactful manner.
Ability to maintain a high level of integrity and ethical performance at all times.
Ability to maintain confidentiality of Police Department information, follow the Minnesota Data Practices law and exercise appropriate judgment in the release or presentation of information.
Ability to present evidence and offer credible testimony in court.
Ability to evaluate situations, innovate, improvise as necessary, and adapt to changing circumstances.
Ability to administer first aid.
Ability to learn the geography of Shakopee, including the location of important buildings and the street system.
Ability to interact with criminal element and to effectively deal with armed confrontation, life-threatening situations and a variety of weapons.