DESCRIPTION OF WORK:
An employee at this level must have completed the basic recruit training at the Police Academy and be
certified by the State of Florida as a Law Enforcement Officer as described under Chapter 943.10(1),
F.S. Work involves responsibility for rapid and efficient performance of specialized duties under normal
and emergency conditions, and may involve threats to personal safety and/or life. Quality of work
performance is constantly reviewed by a supervisory officer; however, a Police Officer is frequently
required to use independent judgment and discretion.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Communicates verbally and in writing, in person and by two-way radio and telephone, frequently under stressful conditions.
- Enforces the ordinances and laws of the City and State, by making arrests of law violators, or by issuing traffic citations to violators of the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles laws.
- Assists citizens in a variety of public service situations and promotes favorable public relations through public contact, providing the public with general information pertaining to crime prevention.
- Uses and maintains emergency equipment necessary for apprehending law violators, for rescue, and for fighting small fires, i.e. computer, fire extinguisher, car jacks, etc.
- Patrols an assigned area during a specific period in a police patrol unit, checking doors, windows, and the premises of occupied and unoccupied commercial or residential properties in order to detect suspicious conditions.
- Responds, investigates scenes of medical emergencies, fires, vehicle accidents, or other emergencies or complaints, and takes the appropriate police action.
- Makes daily reports of activities.
- Participates in training.
- Punctuality and regular attendance are essential functions of this position.
- The ability to work evenings, weekends, holidays, and shift work is an essential function of this position.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Minimum requirement for employment is a High school diploma or GED, and a State of Florida
Certification as a Law Enforcement Officer. An Associates Degree would be an asset in this position.