Provides protection of life and property on campus and within the jurisdiction of the Spelman Police Department, conducts security patrols of the campus, writes incident reports, interacts with faculty, staff, students, and visitors. Uses computers to perform routine administrative tasks. Uses standard police equipment including weapons and restraining devices. Operates motor vehicles.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures the safety and security of Spelman College staff, facilities, students, and visitors;
- Ensures that all campus rules and regulations are enforced;
- Exercises powers of arrest under provisions of current Georgia law;
- Conducts investigations, collects evidence, and testifies in court;
- Functions as communications dispatcher answering phones and short wave radios and performs related clerical tasks;
- Conducts foot and/or motorized patrols of assigned areas;
- Writes incident reports and interviews victims and witnesses;
- Enforces traffic laws, rules, and regulations.
High School Diploma or GED and a minimum of three years experience as a Georgia POST Certified Peace Officer in good standing with no open investigations or certification restrictions.
This position requires the ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively to determine the proper course of action and maintain a high degree of self discipline. Under emergency conditions, react quickly and calmly. The ability to cope with situations firmly, courteously, tactfully, and with respect for the rights of others is required. The incumbent must be able to work cooperatively with the public and fellow employees. Must have the ability to accurately identify the correct criminal violations, and utilize appropriate criminal procedures to bring charges when violations of law exist.
Good communication skills are required to express ideas clearly and obtain accurate information through interview, interrogation, and observations. The ability to understand and execute difficult oral and written instructions is a must. Written communication skills are required to prepare comprehensive records and reports.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have basic level skills using Microsoft Office Suite (Word and Excel) to prepare comprehensive records, spreadsheets, and e-mails. Use of Lotus Notes and the Internet are essential.
Must be able to rotate to various shifts as staffing needs change or as required for special details.
This position requires passing a pre-employment drug test.
Certifications, Licenses, Restrictions
Position requires Georgia P.O.S.T. Peace Officer Certification in Good Standing With Current Arrest Powers and Training at the time of employment.
Current valid Georgia driver’s license is required.