The Patrolman will be responsible for the duties of general law enforcement functions and service to the court.
- General patrol.
- Enforce federal, state and local laws and ordinances.
- Preserve peace and protect life and property.
- Respond to calls for service and emergency assistance.
- Traffic enforcement.
- Observe and investigate persons, situations or matters that require attention.
- Receive and process citizen complaints.
- Arrest offenders.
- Investigate traffic crashes.
- Prepare incident and crash reports, affidavits, citations and legal documents.
- Testify in court.
- Prepare reports.
- Carry out orders and enforce directives from state and federal court systems.
- Perform community policing assignments as required or in support of organized policing efforts.
- Assist in vehicle maintenance and upkeep of other department owned property.
- Perform public speaking and presentations to general public and/or targeted audiences.
- Attend training sessions and meetings as required.
- Instruct training classes when needed.
- Perform other such duties and functions as deemed necessary.
- Perform miscellaneous services relative to public health and safety.
- Must be twenty-one (21) years of age.
- Possess high school diploma or GED certification.
- Certified by or ability to obtain certification by the South Dakota Law Enforcement Officer’s Training Academy within twelve (12) months of hire date.
- Must possess a valid South Dakota Driver License and acceptable driving record.
- Must agree to and have acceptable results of law enforcement background checks for criminal history, driving record and job history and not have any felony convictions.
- Must be fingerprinted for South Dakota Law Enforcement Standards and Training applications.
- Able to work weekends, mornings, nights and unpredictable shifts.