The Indianola Police Department is currently accepting applications for the position of Police Officer.
Join a quality department in a vibrant community near Iowa’s largest metropolitan area.
Participates in the work of the department whether assigned to general patrol or special assignment, and to do related work as required, within departmental SOP, Rules and Regulations, Code of Iowa, and/or the Ordinances of the City of Indianola. Performs police work in the protection of life and property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances. Performs duties that benefit the City organization and the City of Indianola.
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS APRIL 24, 2020.
• Senior officer on duty assumes command in the absence of the Chief, Captain, Lieutenant, or Sergeant.
• Patrols assigned area by car and on-foot to prevent crime and detect violations.
• Arrest violators.
• Familiarizes self with patrol area and people residing in the area.
• Notes suspicious people and takes appropriate actions.
• Reports to scenes of accidents and completes necessary reports.
• Renders first aid to victims.
• Directs traffic.
• Investigate circumstances of crime.
• Questions witnesses.
• Makes court appearances as instructed.
• Maintains order in crowds.
• Maintains department equipment and vehicles as dictated.
• Completes reports as specified by department SOP and Rules and Regulations.
• Performs public relations duties when requested.
• Performs crime prevention efforts as necessary.
• High school graduation or equivalent.
• General knowledge of modern law enforcement principles, procedures, techniques, and equipment.
• Ability to comprehend and articulate complex facts and relationships in detail and to summarize and write clearly, concisely, and legibly, and to testify in court in an objective, concise, and professional manner.
• Valid driver’s license and good driving record.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with citizens, peers, and supervisors.
• Subject to a post-offer drug and alcohol screening and background check.