Perform a variety of law enforcement security, safety and community service duties associated with the protection of life and property and maintenance of order. Responsible for the detection and prevention of crime and the enforcement of all University, State and local laws, rules, policies and procedures while maintaining an atmosphere conducive to the educational mission of Elon University.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides security and protective services to the University community by patrolling the designated areas on foot, in a motor vehicle, or on a bicycle.
- Adheres to the Department of Safety & Police rules regulations, responsibilities and procedures. Maintain a working knowledge of
- University and department policies and procedures, keeping up to date on required information to effectively enforce them.
- Evaluates situations, problems, emergencies and uses discretion, tact, diplomacy and individual judgment to resolve the problem and maintain control, or to notify and refer the proper authorities or department for resolution.
- Understand the constraints and legal/ethical requirements of confidentiality and privilege of information.
- Shall deter, apprehend and make lawful arrest of offenders of the laws of North Carolina when appropriate and encountered while on duty and within jurisdiction of Elon University Campus Police Department.
- Protect and preserve crime scenes. Assist local, state and federal law enforcement agencies in investigators on campus.
- Document incidents via written/typed administrative forms/reports to include gathering pertinent information from participants and/or witnesses. This documentation shall be completed utilizing the Department computer based program.
- Shall conduct detailed investigations as may be required.
- Respond quickly and responsibly to any emergency or stressful situation. Assertively, yet tactfully manage and control traffic crowds, unruly and/or intoxicated individuals.
- Shall appear in court and/or administrative hearings and testify regarding incidents when necessary.
- Shall present and protect a professional, courteous, helpful and approachable demeanor and appearance.
- Report and document any conditions encountered which might present a hazard to the University community, and report same to appropriate personnel. Rectify serious threats or secure or mark hazardous areas to prevent injury or further damage.
- Identify and act in crisis situations including, but not limited to , incidents of physical assault, sexual assault, suicide, suicide attempts, and gestures, cultural/prejudice crime, domestic disturbances and workplace violence establishing control and deployment of personnel until supervisory personnel arrive.
- Demonstrate an understanding and sensitivity to cultural diversity issues.
Education and Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Basic Law Enforcement Training.