Perform law enforcement, investigations and crime prevention work; control traffic flow and enforce State and local traffic regulations; perform investigative work and other special assignments and perform a variety of technical and administrative tasks in support of the Police Department.
$22.64 – $35.95 Hourly
4/20/2020 3:00 PM Central
- Display honest, trustworthy, and ethical behavior when dealing with internal and external customers.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Regular attendance that is punctual and dependable is required.
Patrol a designated area of the City to preserve law and order, discover and prevent the commission of crimes, and enforce traffic and other laws and ordinances; check buildings for physical security.
- Answer calls and complaints involving a variety of Police Service requests.
- Respond to general public service calls including domestic disturbances, civil complaints, property control, and related incidents.
- Collect, process, photograph and present evidence using scientific techniques including fingerprints, fibers, blood, and related physical evidence.
- Serve as Field Training Officer as assigned; train new officers on departmental policies, procedures and activities.
- Enforce traffic laws and ordinances; issue warnings and citations; direct traffic at fire, special events, and other emergency or congested situations.
- May conduct a variety of investigations which may involve private property and non-injury, serious injury and fatality traffic accidents; conduct traffic accident analyses and general traffic surveys.
- Participate in other investigations involving crimes against persons and property, auto theft, white collar crime, and narcotics; gather evidence and prepare cases for prosecution.
- No experience is required to become a Police Officer. However, experience in a patrol assignment is necessary for an assignment to investigations.
- Completion of twelfth grade or acquisition of a General Equivalency Diploma.
License or Certifications:
- Possession of, or ability to obtain and maintain, an appropriate, valid Nebraska driver's license.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, valid certification in cardio-pulmonary resuscitation.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, required certification from the Nebraska Law Enforcement Training Center.
- Must reside within 35 miles of the city limits of the City of Grand Island within six month of date of hire.