Performs intermediate protective services work patrolling assigned areas, preventing and investigating crimes, responding to emergencies, assisting the public, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the general direction of the Police Sergeant – Patrol.
- Detects and responds to law violations and hazards to public safety; inspects businesses and residential areas for signs of criminal activity.
- Maintains high visibility and responds to emergency and non-emergency calls; assists in the resolution of civil disputes or disturbances.
- Enforces laws governing the operation of motor vehicles and their operators and laws relating to bicycle and pedestrian traffic; observes and corrects hazards to motor vehicle and pedestrian traffic; assists disabled or distressed motorists; investigates motor vehicle accidents; issues citations and warnings; makes arrests.
- Promotes the Community Policing Philosophy within the department; maintains good community relations through communication and interaction with citizens and business people of the community; participates and represents the City and department at various functions.
- Responds to and secures crime scenes; directs other responding units; identifies, obtains, and secures evidence.
- Responds to and takes reports of incidents or crimes committed and/or criminal activity; completes follow-up investigation when possible; interviews victims, witnesses, suspects, and others.
- Prepares crime reports and assists investigator as needed.
- Assists prosecuting attorneys with the preparation of cases as directed; testifies in court.
- Assists in maintaining departmental equipment.
- Compiles reports and statistical law enforcement data as directed.
- Maintains working knowledge of Constitutional Law, State Law, case law, City Ordinances, and Department Policy and Procedures to effectively perform the required tasks and duties.
- Associates/Technical degree in law enforcement or a related field and minimal experience working in
- Valid POST license.
- Valid Minnesota Drivers License.
- Must meet all state mandated and employer-required certifications, training, and medical requirements.