Join the community at the University of Minnesota’s Twin Cities campus! In this centrally located, urban environment, you’ll support a safe and inclusive environment for students, staff, faculty, and visitors.
Hiring bonus: $5,000
Police officers are responsible for:
- Patrolling property owned, leased, or operated by the Regents of the University of Minnesota (specifically the Twin Cities campus)
- Providing a safe environment for University students, staff, faculty, and visitors
- Responding to emergency and non-emergency calls for service
- Enforcing applicable statutes and ordinances
- Providing emergency medical assistance
- Working with the University community to increase safety through collaboration, problem solving, and education
- Other duties as assigned, including investigative or other specialty assignments such as bike patrol or motorcycle patrol
Two or four-year degree from an education program certified by the Minnesota Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Board or two year degree from non-certified education program plus certification by the Minnesota POST Board. (Police officers from other states must pass a reciprocity exam through the POST Board.)
Eligibility to be licensed as a peace officer by the Minnesota POST Board and remain licensed throughout employment
Pass a pre-employment background investigation
Possess a valid U.S. Driver’s license with a good driving record
Candidates who receive a conditional job offer must pass a psychological exam and a fitness for duty physical exam.
- Prior experience in a law enforcement agency. Candidates with prior relevant sworn law enforcement experience will participate in an abbreviated field training program and are eligible to be hired at up to the 24 months of service step and receive the 36 month/top police officer rate after 12 months and the successful completion of probation.
- Demonstrated focus on servicing the community
- Experience in a multicultural community
- Volunteer experience
- Fluency in a second language