Starting Pay $57,923.00/Yr.
Performs uniformed or plain clothes duties as assigned. Enforces all city and state laws and regulations. Responds to all police dispatches. Conducts preliminary and follow-up investigations. Interviews witnesses, interrogates suspect, arrests and processes suspected criminals. Directs traffic, issues citations, serves warrants and subpoenas, and appears in court when required.
- Performs uniformed or plainclothes duties as assigned by the department’s command structure.
- Enforces city and state laws and motor vehicle regulations.
- Responds to radio and telephone dispatches concerning crimes, civil and domestic disorders, citizen complaints and requests for assistance.
- Conducts preliminary and follow-up investigation of the crime, disorder, complaints, and requests for assistance and prepares an initial report.
- Interviews witnesses and interrogates suspects, arrests individuals suspected of committing crimes.
- Processes prisoners in custody, conducts prisoner searches, books, fingerprints, and supervises prisoners.
- Directs traffic and issues traffic citations when necessary.
- Serves warrants and subpoenas, files necessary reports and appears in court when required.
- Performs other related job duties as required.
Education: Requires the successful completion of the Civil Service examination and meeting additional requirements as stated in the Code of Iowa. Requires the successful completion of the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy and possession of a valid driver’s license.
Experience: Applicants for a position as a police officer with the City of Bettendorf must have two years of full-time law enforcement experience as a sworn federal, state, or local police officer at the time of hire OR at least sixty semester hours of accredited college or universityat the time of application OR have two years of active duty military experience at the time of application. This is an entry level position. Requires the ability to qualify with firearms.