Pay Grade/Pay Range: $26.54 – $28.99
Closing at: Apr 3 2023 at 22:55 CDT
The police officer, with moderate supervision, performs law enforcement duties and provides services that enable the University of Alabama to achieve its mission. Duties and responsibilities include responding to calls for service; performing preventive patrol; meeting with complainants/victims, completing incident/offense reports and conducting preliminary investigations; investigating vehicular/pedestrian accidents and completing required reports; testifying in court on criminal, traffic and/or civil matters; operating radio and emergency equipment in accordance with established departmental procedures; conducting security checks of facilities and grounds; directing traffic; attending in-service and specialized training; and performing any other task necessary for the University to accomplish its mission.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- High school degree or equivalent.
- Must pass review panel and a comprehensive background check.
- Must have certificate verifying the successful completion of the Alabama Peace Officers Standards and Training (APOST) Commission’s academy or pass a police officer recruit exam, a physical agility, and physical ability examinations. Physical Agility exam includes running the course and completing the following requirements within 90 seconds: push a vehicle on a level surface; climb a six-foot wall; climb through a window-like metal structure; walk a balance beam; drag a 165 lb. dummy. Physical Ability exam includes completing 22 pushups within one minute, 25 sit-ups within one minute and completing a 1.5 mile run within 15 minutes and 28 seconds.
- Must be a U.S. citizen. For those that have been in the Armed Forces, an honorable discharge from military service. Must have valid U.S. driver’s license.
- Must be at least 21 years of age at time of hire and have an acceptable Motor Vehicle Report that is in compliance with University policies. Conditional Hire/Pre-Employment Requirements: Complete a psychological assessment, physical, and drug screen. Post-Hire Requirements: Successful completion of the recruit orientation training. Successful completion of the APOST Commission’s academy within six months of employment; or a certificate verifying the successful completion of the Alabama Peace Officers Standards and Training Commission’s academy. Successful completion of the University of Alabama Police Department’s field training and evaluation program. After completion of these phases, the position has a 1040-hour probationary period of solo field assignment duty.