This position will serve as an Entry Level Police Officer within in the Police Service located within Police and Security Service at the VAMC Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA . The primary purpose of this position is to perform law enforcement work in the protection of life, property, and the rights of individual citizens.
$46,776 – $60,809 per year
Pay scale & grade
Major duties are but not limited to:
- Provides services routinely at all segments of VA facilities located over large geographical areas, some of which may be in different states, counties, municipalities, or townships.
- Protects Veterans, volunteers, and others on Departmental property, U.S. officials, other individuals, and him or herself during any given situation against threats to personal safety when force becomes necessary to enforce laws and regulations.
- Protects Veterans, employees and visitors sensitive and protected medical information from unauthorized release or unauthorized use where prohibited by law and or policy as guided by the privacy officer, FOIA, HIPPA, etc.
- Carries firearms and other weapons, intervenes when necessary to deescalate situations, and determines when and how much force must be applied. Advises individuals of their (Miranda, Weingarten, Garrity, etc.) rights, and protects the constitutional and civil rights of persons.
- Conducts investigations, apprehensions, or detention of individuals suspected or convicted of offenses against the criminal laws of the US, protection, and transport of U.S. officials.
- Identifies and preserves evidence, writes comprehensive incident reports, prepares case files, and testifies in court as it pertains to enforcing laws and regulations.
- Provides patrol in vehicles, on foot, and/or on a bicycle.
- Detects and intervenes in criminal activity; responds to calls for police assistance, irregularities, and unusual or suspicious circumstances.
- Investigates incidents and takes steps to mitigate further risk and resolve situations.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- May serve a probationary period
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- A complete application package; Resume, Transcripts, etc
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Selectee must attend and successfully complete the 10 week VA Police Law Enforcement Training Center (VA LETC) Police Officer Standardized Training (POST) course in North Little Rock, AR.
- This position is subject to the conditions of the Lautenberg Amendment (Title 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(9), the selectee must not be prohibited from possessing or using firearms.