Under the general supervision of the Police Sergeant, performs general public duties by enforcing laws and ordinances and providing assistance to the general public for the City of Cocoa. The Police Officer patrols assigned areas in a police cruiser, on foot, or by whatever means necessary, responds to all calls for assistance from the general public, conducts routine investigations of suspected criminal activities, interviews victims and suspects as required, and responds to emergency and routine traffic problems. Employee is responsible for issuing citations and making arrests as warranted, writes reports on all assigned calls, testifies in court as required, renders first aid as needed, and maintains constant radio communication with dispatch.
• Patrols assigned area in police cruiser; maintains radio contact with Dispatch and supervisor, reports unusual or suspicious incidents, which may require police attention, checks buildings for suspicious open doors and windows, and responds to call or initiates action as appropriate.
• Responds to calls involving criminal violations, secures scene to restore peace and protect evidence, calls for assistance as needed, interviews complainants and witnesses, makes arrests, searches suspects for weapons and evidence and advises suspects of rights, seizes contraband and stolen property, transports suspects to the police department, interrogates suspects to complete booking forms, writes police reports, and testifies in court as needed.
• Conducts routine follow-up investigations of assigned cases, interviews victims, witnesses, informants and other sources of information, and conducts surveillance and stakeout.
• Responds to calls involving major traffic accidents, fires and other accidents or disasters, secures scene to protect victims and property, and gives first aid and calls for medical assistance.
• Issues traffic summons if appropriate, issues warnings and parking tickets, and writes police reports.
• Directs traffic at special events and at congested intersections and escorts funerals and VIPs traveling through the city.
• Performs Problem solving policing functions during daily duties.
• Essential Employees may be required to work during a declared or undeclared emergency.
• Performs other related job duties as assigned.
High school diploma or GED certificate, a graduate of an accredited law enforcement academy.
• Knowledge of department rules and regulations, department written directives, police report writing, and law enforcement procedures and operations.
• Knowledge of federal, state and city criminal laws and ordinances and criminal justice system operations.
• Skill in the use of a variety of computer programs, including Microsoft Office, and various other office equipment.
• Ability to define problems, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
• Ability to write technical reports and correspondence, observe and record events accurately and completely, and pay attention to details.
• Ability to read wide range of technical literature.
• Ability to handle routine public contacts and maintain a sense of personal integrity.
• Ability to follow verbal directions with little or no supervision.
• Ability to maintain physical fitness.
For positions requiring the operation of City vehicles, must possess a valid current Florida driver's license, or be able to acquire one within 45 days of hire. Must be capable of passing a comprehensive background investigation, including but not limited to a polygraph/CVSA, physical and a drug screen. Must complete and pass the Field Training Program.