$47,189.00 – Starting salary in which consideration may be given depending on experience.
Examples of Duties / Knowledge & Skills
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Patrols assigned area looking for suspicious activity, crimes and emergencies
- Assesses the situation and takes appropriate action as necessary
- Talks with community groups, residential and business organizations, and members of the public to develop relationships and to provide visible security to deter crime
- Conducts property, business and welfare checks
- Enforce state and local traffic laws and regulations
- Responds to traffic accidents and writes reports as necessary in accordance with state and local laws
- Cooperates with other law enforcement agencies to establish mutual assistance
- Responds to domestic and non-domestic incidents
- Responsible for making arrests, finger prints and transfer of subject to multiple locations
- Collects and stores evidence in accordance with established policies and procedures
- Assists in various phases of criminal investigations including interviewing witnesses, pursuing leads, apprehending and questioning suspects
Minimum qualifications & Requirements
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent required. Prior police or military experience preferred.
- Compliance with requirements of Code of Virginia Section 15.2 – 1705 as amended is required
Licenses or Certifications:
- Valid operators license; upon appointment and thereafter, a valid Virginia Operators license
- Law Enforcement Officer Certification from Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services with recertification as required by DCJS
- Qualified with firearms
- Completion of additional training as needed to maintain current certifications, understand changes in laws and regulations, and learn specialized services (for example, radar certification, first aid training)
- Applicants must be 21 years of age.