Salary range: $37,595 – $46,078.
Open Until Filled
Perform duties that include controlling access points and patrolling NC Port facilities. Monitor the safety and security of facilities, personnel, and property. Enforce State and Federal Laws, as well as NC Port rules and regulations.
- Respond to emergency calls and unusual situations; take the appropriate actions(s) to resolve.
- Investigate accidents, crimes, and violations of Federal, State, and NC Ports ordinances and laws to ensure compliance.
- Conduct patrols of NC Port terminal and vicinity. Check security of facilities and equipment. Check buildings for fire and security alarm or sprinkler system activation. Monitor any dock/ port activities that may include the handling of sensitive or pilferable cargo. Identify unsafe activities or conditions and coordinate appropriate corrective actions with the Squad SGT.
- Control and record vehicles and personnel entering and/ or leaving the NC Port facility as outlined in the Facility Security Plan (FSP).
- Check and screen persons, their belongings and vehicles entering the NC Port facility per FSP if needed.
- Check docks and piers upon docking or sailing of vessel for damage, proper location, and suspicious packages/ items. Complete the required documents as appropriate.
- Maintain various logs and records, including but not limited to: vehicle traffic on and off the terminal, weather, ship docking and sailing, unusual occurrences, and security incidents.
- Monitor facility security and dock/port activities via security camera system. Identify unsafe/ suspicious activities or conditions and coordinate appropriate corrective action with Squad Sgt.
- Issue permits, such as for hot work and fuel loading/bunkering, as needed.
- Required to be on call 24 hours per day.
- All other duties as assigned by management.
- Position requires a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Current North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission General Certification, including firearms qualification.
- Can communicate clearly in both oral and written forms.
- General computer skills and basic knowledge of two-way radio operation.
- Be physically capable of performing duties of law enforcement officer, including physical security screenings of vehicles, and persons and their belongings.
- Position requires working a rotating shift, including holidays and overtime as required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and meet TWIC security requirements.