Salary: $94,348.80 – $114,753.60 Annually.
General supervision is provided by the Police Sergeant; responsibilities may include the indirect supervision of officers and/or support staff.
This is the working level class in law enforcement, performing all duties required to effectively respond to and resolve the normal scope of peace officer situations. Incumbents may be assigned to patrol, traffic, juvenile, crime prevention or other police-related functions. This class is distinguished from uniformed civilian police-related classes by the responsibility and authority associated with designation as a sworn peace officer under the laws of the state. It is further distinguished from the Police Sergeant class in that the latter is a first-line supervisor responsible for assigned officers and other support staff.
- Patrol assigned areas to ensure the security of life and property, observe situations, and deter crime by providing high visibility; respond to suspicious activities and answer emergency calls for service; enforce state, local, and federal laws and ordinances; issue verbal warnings and citations; pursue and apprehend suspects and request assistance as required.
- Investigate criminal activity and incidents as the responding officer; coordinate crime scene control and investigation, including interviews and interrogations and identification of witnesses; oversee collection and preservation of physical evidence; restore order, protect life and property, and maintain the peace at public gatherings and in conflict situations.
- Prepare and document cases, complete reports and records, and prepare and maintain other logs and records.
- Investigate traffic accidents and provide traffic and crowd control as necessary.
- Participate in special details and assignments, including K-9, traffic patrol, narcotics, investigation, and related activities; retrieve, identify, and return found property and/or evidence to owners; provide emergency aid and assistance to incapacitated persons and request additional response; provide information, directions, and other services and assistance to the public; testify in court, as subpoenaed; respond to SWAT team call-outs; may act as hostage negotiator.
- Direct, instruct, train, and supervise recruit officers in areas of traffic enforcement, radar operation, DUI enforcement, and basic traffic accident investigation.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Be at least 21 years of age at the time of graduation from the Police Academy.
- Have education equivalent to completion of high school.
- Possess a valid California Driver License.
- Be a current POST Academy Attendee or Graduate.
- Have achieved a PELLET B T-Score of 42 or better or have the degree equivalent.