Performs law enforcement, crime prevention duties, and other general police/security services; enforces state and local laws as well as ordinances, policies, and regulations of the University; conducts proactive patrol by means of foot or vehicle. Police Officers must at all times support the University’s mission, respect the rights and dignity of all individuals, and deal ethically with the public.
Typical Duties & Responsibilities:
Assignments are made based on the needs of the department and are subject to change:
- Community-Oriented Policing:
- Calls for Service:
- Judicial Proceedings:
- Special Events and Assignments:
Attributes of a Successful Candidate
High School Diploma or equivalent; College Degree Preferred.
- Current Peace Officer Certification,
- Military or,
- Law Enforcement
- Good customer service skills,
- Demonstrate effective written and oral communication skills,
- Demonstrate self-restraint in challenging and/or difficult situations,
- Ability to work in a multicultural setting,
- Demonstrate problem-solving and,
- Make decisions in very stressful and sometimes hostile, life-threatening situations.
Licenses & Certifications:
- Must be a certified police officer meeting all of the requirements for P.O.S.T. certification in Tennessee or be eligible for certification upon hire and completion of P.O.S.T approved police academy.
- Must have a valid driver’s license in the State of Tennessee or be eligible to obtain one within 30 days of appointment.