Perform a variety of law enforcement security, safety and community service duties associated with the protection of life and property and maintenance of order. Responsible for the detection and prevention of crime and the enforcement of all University, State and local laws, rules, policies and procedures while maintaining an atmosphere conducive to the educational mission of Elon University.
- Responsible for the detection and prevention of crime and the enforcement of all University, State and local laws, rules, policies and procedures while maintaining an atmosphere conducive to the educational mission of Elon University.
- Use problem-solving and communications skills to effectively interact with the multi-cultural and diverse campus population to resolve public safety issues.
- Provides security and protective services to the University community by patrolling the designated areas on foot, in a motor vehicle, or on a bicycle.
- Adheres to the Department of Safety & Police rules regulations, responsibilities and procedures. Maintain a working knowledge of University and department policies and procedures, keeping up to date on required information to effectively enforce them.
- Evaluates situations, problems, emergencies and uses discretion, tact, diplomacy and individual judgment to resolve the problem and maintain control, or to notify and refer the proper authorities or department for resolution.
- Understand the constraints and legal/ethical requirements of confidentiality and privilege of information.
- Shall deter, apprehend and make lawful arrest of offenders of the laws of North Carolina when appropriate and encountered while on duty and within jurisdiction of Elon University Campus Police Department.
- Protect and preserve crime scenes. Assist local, state and federal law enforcement agencies in investigators on campus.
- Document incidents via written/typed administrative forms/reports to include gathering pertinent information from participants and/or witnesses. This documentation shall be completed utilizing the Department computer based program.
- Shall conduct detailed investigations as may be required.
Education and Experience
High School diploma or equivalent.
Basic Law Enforcement Training
Special Instructions to Applicants
Must be North Carolina State certified and able to be certified as a Campus Police Officer