The Police Officer occupies a staff position assigned to a Police Sergeant. The work involves enforcement of Federal, State, local laws and campus rules and regulations. Provides service, information and aid to all as circumstances require, suppress disturbances as well as security of persons and property. Responsible for enforcement duties for the protection, safety and welfare of students, employees, visitors, and all property within
the areas under the control and jurisdiction of Texas State Technical College within the prescribed limits prescribed by law , Rules and Regulations of the Board of Regents, and institutional rules. Serves as a Campus Security Authority (CSA) as defined by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Statistics Act (Clery Act)
- Employee will demonstrate TSTC Core values of Excellence, Accountability, Service and Integrity with internal and external stakeholders, customers, students and members of the community.
- Serve as a community liaison by interacting and collaborating with the community. Will work with groups and departments to address specific problems or work toward certain goals. Assist visitors to the campus in locating places and people that they desire to locate.
- Play a preventive role by providing police presence and making presence known in the community.
- Present to college community on topics of crime prevention, safety and areas of expertise.
- Investigates all crimes, accidents or complaints on campus; secures and processes crime and accident scenes, and identifies and collects evidence within scope of authority.
- Prepares appropriate reports, documentations, and pertinent information.
- Enforces local, State and Federal laws, and enforces compliance within the TSTC Traffic Rules and Regulations.
- Responsible for making decisions about the general operation of cases that he/she works and would be responsible for any follow up work needed to complete the assignment.
- High school graduate or the equivalent.
- Have a current permanent Peace Officers License from the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE).
- Experience for the beginning Police Officer is not a requirement of the job provided they possess a basic certification. Experience will be taken into consideration for employment reasons.
- Knowledge of safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
- Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others.
- Effectively communicate with all segments of the campus population.
- Ability to function under adverse and stressful conditions.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to gather and organize legal evidence.