Under general direction of the Police Sergeant, enforces Federal, State, and City laws, rules, regulations, ordinances, and codes by preforming various law enforcement tasks that support local law enforcement and crime prevention activities. Performs investigative work, a variety of technical and administrative tasks in support of the department, and special assignments. Maintains a high level of visibility in the community to deter and prevent criminal activity with a community-oriented approach.
$61,698.00 – $67,441.92 Annually
• Maintains constant vigilance for criminal activities, suspicious circumstances, and hazards to life or property, taking appropriate action as required.
• Enforces traffic laws and provides general traffic management in the event of accidents, disabled vehicles, or other dangerous situations occurring on City streets.
• Arrests, or assists in the arrest of, persons suspected of violations of law or ordinances, and does so with full compliance with the law, ordinances, and departmental policy.
• Mediates and/or negotiates conflicts and disagreements within the community.
• Prepares all required forms and reports accurately in a complete and timely manner.
• Presents testimony and evidence in municipal and county courts in traffic, civil, or criminal cases.
• Gathers information in criminal investigations by interviewing and obtaining statements of victims, witnesses, suspects, and confidential informers.
• Transport prisoners to jails or other necessary facilities.
• Responsible for inspecting assigned equipment and/or patrol unit to ensure proper care, maintenance and safeguarding.
• Assists with Police Department and City sponsored events including traffic and crowd control.
• Promotes positive department-community relations; advocates public awareness for crime prevention, neighborhood watch, and other citizen programs.
• Consistent attendance for assigned work hours is required.
• This position requires a flexible work schedule. Employee may be required to work shift work, weekends, holidays, and mandatory over-time as needed.
• Travel to attend meetings, conferences and training
• Provide on the job training and/or mentorship for peers
• This position is considered essential during a catastrophic event and may require the incumbent to provide service or perform duties for the benefit of the public and continuity of City operations. These may include services or duties different from those performed in the usual course and scope of this position.
• Ability to remain alert and react quickly, calmly, and rationally in times of extreme stress.
• Ability to enforce laws firmly, tactfully, and impartially.
• Ability to reasonably defuse and handle confrontational and/or hostile individuals with the extent necessary.
• Ability to communicate effectively with those contacted in the course of work.
• Ability to interpret and apply State laws, City Ordinances, and City and departmental policies and procedures, and other regulations.
• Knowledge of current laws, technical developments, and legal procedures.
• Ability to properly use and maintain all job-related equipment and other standard office equipment.
• Ability to represent the organization in a professional manner with a positive attitude while providing information and services to the public and any other interested parties, according to departmental policies and procedures and ethical standards.
• Ability to maintain proficiency and skill in the use of firearms and physical defense tactics.
• Ability to communicate effectively utilizing the English language in written and oral communication.
• Ability to resolve problems or situations requiring the exercise of good judgment.
• Ability to develop skill in the operation of a patrol vehicle and other law enforcement equipment in a safe and courteous manner.
• Establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with city staff, and the public.
• Perform all physical requirements of the position with or without accommodation.
High school diploma or GED equivalent; minimum of a Basic Peace Officer License and CPR training.
Must meet and maintain all regulatory TCOLE requirements.
Sworn Peace Officers must meet the general eligibility requirements of the position under Texas Law.