Under the supervision of the Chief of Police, the Police Officer 1 performs duties in the protection of life, property and the preservation of order in the City of Lyons. The employee in this position enforces all federal, state and local laws in accordance with departmental rules and regulations. Patrol duties include enforcing traffic laws, investigation of crimes and accidents, and providing public assistance. This employee will be required to exercise initiative and discretion when faced with emergency conditions. This work involves an element of personal danger. This is a non-exempt position.
- Enforces all federal, state and local laws and ordinances;
- Patrols streets of business district and residential neighborhoods;
- Investigates suspicious conditions and complaints;
- Searches for, identifies and collects evidence found at crime scenes;
- Arrests individuals who violate laws and ordinances;
- Appears in court as the arresting officer;
- Investigates and intervenes in domestic disputes;
- Directs traffic and issues citations for traffic law violations;
- Operates radio transmittal equipment and communicates with dispatchers;
- Answers citizen complaints and takes necessary corrective action;
- Works at a desk preparing reports;
- Attends schools and seminars to maintain proficiency and certifications;
- Assist Fire/EMS as needed;
- Education of local schools, businesses, and their employees;
- Other related duties as deemed necessary or as required.
90 days probation in law enforcement is required Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonable well after six months in this position.
High school diploma is required. Requires graduation from law enforcement training center (K.L.E.T.C. Certification) within one year of employment and 40 hours of continuing education training annually.