Open until filled
Come join the team at the City of Gardiner Police Department so you can experience some brand-new challenges, work alongside some great teammates, and receive the support you deserve from our community!! For those that are interested, we are offering sign-on bonuses and incentives for all new hires. If you want to give back, if you want to make a difference for those that live, work, and visit Gardiner, if you think you have what it takes to join our progressive police department, come see us and we’ll get your hiring process started!
- For non-full-time certified officers (brand new officers) you will earn $2500 upon successful completion of the full-time, 18-week police academy (BLETP) & $2500 upon successful completion of your probationary period.
- For full-time certified officers with a buyout – you will receive $5000 ($2500 at I-year anniversary, $2500 at 2-year anniversary if your buyout is not at year 1 or 2)
- For full-time certified officers with no buyout— you will receive $15,000 ($2500 at end of field training program, $2500 at I-year anniversary, $5000 at 2-year anniversary and $5000 at 3-year anniversary.
The successful candidate, upon completion of field training, will be assigned to work patrol (12-hour schedule) and will be scheduled to have every other weekend off (3 days in a row). Employees accrue at least 1 vacation (lateral entry will change this number) and 1 sick day per month to start and are allowed to accrue compensatory time as well. Once here, if you would like to specialize in a particular field or fields in law enforcement, we will send you to specialized training. We have officers that are currently trained in the following — crisis intervention, field training, mechanics of arrest, restraint and control, evidence collection, DRE, intoxilyzer, school resource officer, pepper ball, stinger spike, taser, firearms, ALICE, less-lethal platforms, and advanced roadside impairment, etc. We will do our best to put you in a position that maximizes your interest and your potential so that you are able to fulfill the needs of our community and our department.
- Applicants shall be at least 21 years of age (or 20 years of age with 60 college credits).
- Have a valid Maine driver’s license.
- Candidates that are not fulltime certified must have passed the Maine Criminal Justice Academy ALERT Test, must be able to pass the Maine Criminal Justice Academy’s physical agility test and have successfully completed PHASE I training through the Maine Criminal Justice Academy.